Can you be pregnant during all 4 years of residency if you want lots of kids but bio clock?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what, I am going to start a blog for all medical students and career people/money oriented people to read it and understand that achieving dreams is always possible, and to never give up. I also want to give hope to those medical school students who have simple struggles, that none of you people have. All of you people are like "ohh pshh i'm taking like 20 credit hours this semester, while working at a lab 25 hours a week, while volunteering at 4 different places (2 hospitals, 2 shelters) for 4 hours a week each, while being president of 2 clubs and some chair member of another organization, oh and I already have like 2 papers published, but only one of them is third author". No, no one is like this. Other students might be struggling and thinking something like "will I be able to raise my GPA if I take on this mandatory clinical volunteering activity that I need for medical school?" or "will I be able to afford college, or be intellectual enough to graduate college on time, and get into medical school?" I want to give hope to all people. Adding more stupid applicants to the competish won't make anything any more difficult, because there will still be the same number of competitive applicants, but still, maybe blogging can be an extracurricular activity on the AMCAS :)

Thank you for this post.

I don't like this post.

No, I am what I say I am.

Nice try, bro. I'm not that stupid

Now I find this offensive. Where do you get off talking about finances and being able to afford college? How would you even know the struggles of that, seeing as your parents are paying every last cent of yours. I'm sure I struggled more than you did, you're just a brat who thinks she's better than everyone else and you're not. You probably think what you "struggled" with is worse than anyone else on the planet. Nope.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You know what, I am going to start a blog for all medical students and career people/money oriented people to read it and understand that achieving dreams is always possible, and to never give up. I also want to give hope to those medical school students who have simple struggles, that none of you people have. All of you people are like "ohh pshh i'm taking like 20 credit hours this semester, while working at a lab 25 hours a week, while volunteering at 4 different places (2 hospitals, 2 shelters) for 4 hours a week each, while being president of 2 clubs and some chair member of another organization, oh and I already have like 2 papers published, but only one of them is third author". No, no one is like this. Other students might be struggling and thinking something like "will I be able to raise my GPA if I take on this mandatory clinical volunteering activity that I need for medical school?" or "will I be able to afford college, or be intellectual enough to graduate college on time, and get into medical school?" I want to give hope to all people. Adding more stupid applicants to the competish won't make anything any more difficult, because there will still be the same number of competitive applicants, but still, maybe blogging can be an extracurricular activity on the AMCAS :)

Are you only reading your own threads on this forum? There are tons of people who have questions of these types, and they get legitimate advice (in fact, some of your earliest posts even resembled these). Tons of people, including many of those responding to you I am willing to bet, have had struggles along the way.

2009_men_who_stare_at_goats_012.jpg

...waiting for it....
Not sure what this face means, but that's a big picture.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you only reading your own threads on this forum? There are tons of people who have questions of these types, and they get legitimate advice (in fact, some of your earliest posts even resembled these). Tons of people, including many of those responding to you I am willing to bet, have had struggles along the way.
But their struggles were all like, "omg should i keep this volunteer position out of the other 7 that I have? i already have like 4 years volunteering and 3 publictions and only a 3.99 gpa" -.-

Aren't you precious? Some of us are like that. Some of us are capable of dedicating ourselves to the pursuit of medicine, are willing to work with others, and are capable of making sacrifices to pursue our dreams. Again, most of us are applying to or are in medical school. You are no threat.

Nice try, bro. I'm not that stupid

Remains to be proven.

But their struggles were all like, "omg should i keep this volunteer position out of the other 7 that I have? i already have like 4 years volunteering and 3 publictions and only a 3.99 gpa" -.-

No, no they are not at all. I return to the fact that you are offending people with your ignorance and you need to do more reading before posting.
But regardless, I will still have more respect for people who post threads like that than someone who posts threads about manipulating the system.

Definitely not. Besides, I'm nearly convinced "she" is actually a dude. My thought is: the only way this person has all this time right now to post on SDN is because "she" is actually a premed who probably finished school in May, has already taken the MCAT, applied, and is killing time between secondaries and such. It's obviously all conjecture on my part though.
Unlikely. I mean her first 5-10 threads were good old typical premed crap with nothing exciting going on. The trolling appeared gradually once SDNers got tired of her constant questions. I think her story is mostly true except for the last week or so. Now she is just attention-whoring since it's a dream for many insecure 18 year old girls to have all eyes on her even if it is happening. On some boring premed forum. To pull this off someone would have to be some super-elaborate sleeper troll.

She may be talking about parental curfew and limited computer and TV time. Aside from hSDN, nobody on here deals with those "simple struggles".

Unlikely. I mean her first 5-10 threads were good old typical premed crap with nothing exciting going on. The trolling appeared gradually once SDNers got tired of her constant questions. I think her story is mostly true except for the last week or so. Now she is just attention-whoring since it's a dream for many insecure 18 year old girls to have all eyes on her even if it is happening. On some boring premed forum. To pull this off someone would have to be some super-elaborate sleeper troll.

Well put. I can accept that.

You know what, I am going to start a blog for all medical students and career people/money oriented people to read it and understand that achieving dreams is always possible, and to never give up. I also want to give hope to those medical school students who have simple struggles, that none of you people have. All of you people are like "ohh pshh i'm taking like 20 credit hours this semester, while working at a lab 25 hours a week, while volunteering at 4 different places (2 hospitals, 2 shelters) for 4 hours a week each, while being president of 2 clubs and some chair member of another organization, oh and I already have like 2 papers published, but only one of them is third author". No, no one is like this.
Actually, drop a few of the volunteering gigs and the papers and add a few clubs and honor societies (president of one), a part-time job, and an REU, and this was me undergrad. At least once I had to petition the school to let me take more credit hours because the max was 21. I also had...something stupid like 6 research/design projects. (I graduated Tulane in 2006, so that was in part Katrina related)

Also: what do you mean by "only one of them is 3rd author." Papers have a first author, a last author, and other contributing authors. It really doesn't matter if you're second, third, fourth, eighth, or anything else. You're either first or last, or not. (with few exceptions)

Can I just say that the title of this thread makes me laugh EVERY time I read it?

I wish OP's dad would have pulled out :(

Members don't see this ad :)
guyyysss too far. snark and all is one thing, but let's not push the thread down this path.

You're right, let's keep it classy. :p

Although the way OP is talking, she seems too informed to be real. After all, she couldn't have known this much knowledge about SDN this quickly.

You're right, let's keep it classy. :p

Although the way OP is talking, she seems too informed to be real. After all, she couldn't have known this much knowledge about SDN this quickly.

I mean, I'm no SDN veteran, but it seems to me she's kind of sh*ting the bed. Everywhere.

Them to get a damn job when they reach of age, make them earn gas money, make them learn values and hard work, and let them make the moolah
kc0X8t

If your parents paid college for you, you are definitely not even close to "struggling".

What does that mean? I am real and not trolling at all.
Ok, well, if you aren't trolling, here: Your vagina is not a clown car. No one should be pregnant for four years straight.

*shudder*

I didn't read all the posts, but does the OP realize that babies aren't conceived and born instantly? 4 kids during 4 years of residency with each kid 1 year apart doesn't add up mathematically.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't read all the posts, but does the OP realize that babies aren't conceived and born instantly? 4 kids during 4 years of residency with each kid 1 year apart doesn't add up mathematically.

irish twins broseph

This is actually one thing (possibly the only thing) she is right about, assuming she means a year apart in their ages and not in her pregnancies. Get pregnant in August; give birth in May; wait three months; repeat 3 times.

Of course she's still showing serious ignorance to think you just choose a date from the calendar and that's when you become pregnant. Although, to be fair, she's apparently only been sexually active for at most 2 days, as Oregon is an 18+ state. So it's not really surprising she's not more informed.

This is actually one thing (possibly the only thing) she is right about, assuming she means a year apart in their ages and not in her pregnancies. Get pregnant in August; give birth in May; wait three months; repeat 3 times.

Of course she's still showing serious ignorance to think you just choose a date from the calendar and that's when you become pregnant. Although, to be fair, she's apparently only been sexually active for at most 2 days, as Oregon is an 18+ state. So it's not really surprising she's not more informed.

I have a feeling that would be horrible for your body

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Thank you for clarifying this to everybody. I was actually thinking to get preg 6 mos after each baby is born. That way I give my body 6 months of rest :) And the babies will have 1 year, 3 months of difference in between their ages, and will have fun and play with each other. There will be a less than 4 year difference between the youngest and oldest, if you do your math :)

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Thank you for clarifying this to everybody. I was actually thinking to get preg 6 mos after each baby is born. That way I give my body 6 months of rest :) And the babies will have 1 year, 3 months of difference in between their ages, and will have fun and play with each other. There will be a less than 4 year difference between the youngest and oldest, if you do your math :)

This part of your plan isn't completely insane, just the doing it during residency thing. Many mothers plan to have their kids close together but you have no clue how hard that'll be. Have you ever babysat? You don't sleep, ever. And once they can walk, they're into everything. Having them that close together is draining by itself, and my mom did it with only two, not four, at the same time.

This part of your plan isn't completely insane, just the doing it during residency thing. Many mothers plan to have their kids close together but you have no clue how hard that'll be. Have you ever babysat? You don't sleep, ever. And once they can walk, they're into everything. Having them that close together is draining by itself, and my mom did it with only two, not four, at the same time.
Raising kids sounds like fun to me. I don't care how much stress they put me through, raising my own kids is something I dream of doing. I want them to be loud and fun and all over the place!

Ok so you get pregnant in your 4th year. Squat it out beginning of your residency. Wait 6 months to get pregnant. Are pregnant for 10 months (because last time I checked 40 weeks usually 10 months not 9). That puts you at a 1 year 4 month age difference between kid 1 and kid 2. So kid 1 would be 4 years older than kid 4.

This means that you would have FOUR kids in college at the same time. No wonder she wants 300k a year.

The concept behind this thread is incredibly offensive across the board. But it is particularly offensive to mothers. The thought of popping out kids like that while working 80+ hour weeks and being able to raise them is utterly ludicrous. Becoming a parent requires a ton of sacrifice... I love you mom!

If only life was so structured... every time my wife and I get jiggy wit it we are paranoid out of our minds that we just made another human being.... before i started school... haha

Reactions: 1 users
Raising kids sounds like fun to me. I don't care how much stress they put me through, raising my own kids is something I dream of doing. I want them to be loud and fun and all over the place!

Again, that's fine but doing that during residency will leave you having to decide between them and your career. I'm not even in med school yet but I'm pretty sure a residency program will just let you come and go as you please. If you want to be there to raise them, more than just part time when they're younger, you might be disappointed.

Ok so you get pregnant in your 4th year. Squat it out beginning of your residency. Wait 6 months to get pregnant. Are pregnant for 10 months (because last time I checked 40 weeks usually 10 months not 9). That puts you at a 1 year 4 month age difference between kid 1 and kid 2. So kid 1 would be 4 years older than kid 4.

This means that you would have FOUR kids in college at the same time. No wonder she wants 300k a year.
So? I don't care about that. I will fund their college as much as I can. All I care about is that my kids will have fun, and I will put away enough money every month for them to go to state school. I want them to have fun and play with their siblings.

Again, that's fine but doing that during residency will leave you having to decide between them and your career. I'm not even in med school yet but I'm pretty sure a residency program will just let you come and go as you please. If you want to be there to raise them, more than just part time when they're younger, you might be disappointed.
Can't I take like 2 weeks off after every kid? And work 40 hours a week during residency? That could work.... But I am dreading that some residencies are 80 hours a week! I don't know how well I would handle that...

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
If only life was so structured... every time my wife and I get jiggy wit it we are paranoid out of our minds that we just made another human being.... before i started school... haha

If only we could conceive at the exact time we wanted to ;) doesn't work like that

If only we could conceive at the exact time we wanted to ;) doesn't work like that
That's why I will start trying 3 months after each kid is born.

Can't I take like 2 weeks off after every kid? And work 40 hours a week during residency? That could work.... But I am dreading that some residencies are 80 hours a week! I don't know how well I would handle that...

I'm not aware of any residency that you can consistently work 40 hour weeks.

^
someone who understands my problem.

I shadowed a doc who had four kids starting with his first during his 4th year at med school,, and then through his ortho residency had three more. His is like 8 years out of residency and his life STILL seems hellacious, and he is not even the mom...

So yes it is possible, but is it enjoyable after a couple days?... by the look on his face every time I shadowed him I doubt it. I wouldnt say he wanted to kill himself, I would say its more of a wanting to throw himself down a flight of stairs and be seriously injured

Just because something is permissible does not mean it is beneficial

^
someone who understands my problem.

I shadowed a doc who had four kids starting with his first during his 4th year at med school,, and then through his ortho residency had three more. His is like 8 years out of residency and his life STILL seems hellacious, and he is not even the mom...

So yes it is possible, but is it enjoyable after a couple days?... by the look on his face every time I shadowed him I doubt it. I wouldnt say he wanted to kill himself, I would say its more of a wanting to throw himself down a flight of stairs and be seriously injured

Just because something is permissible does not mean it is beneficial
Maybe he didn't want kids as much as I do. Kids are my #1 dream and priority.

Does being pregnant sound fun? If so, you know nothing about it.
Remember you plan to be pregnant for most of your residency. It's extraordinarily difficult on your body, and it will be much harder to eat healthy for your babies during residency.

well we can't expect her to know that before even finishing her first semester at a 4-year college, right?
I feel like I knew that in middle school haha

Does being pregnant sound fun? If so, you know nothing about it.
Remember you plan to be pregnant for most of your residency. It's extraordinarily difficult on your body, and it will be much harder to eat healthy for your babies during residency.
Why would it be hard to eat during residency? I will eat well no matter what, and some residency can't stop me from being healthy.

Are pregnant for 10 months (because last time I checked 40 weeks usually 10 months not 9).
Okay this is one oft-repeated myth that really bugs me. If 40 weeks is 10 months, how many months is 12 weeks? 3 months? So since there's 52 weeks in a year, does that mean there are 13 months in a year? Furthermore, the actual average length of pregnancy (as in from conception to birth) is right about 38 weeks. We just call it 40 because it's easier to know exactly when your last period was than when you ovulated. So you're not even pregnant for the first 2 weeks of those 40, and you typically won't know you're pregnant for the next 2 weeks.

9 is a much more accurate estimate of the number of months you're pregnant than 10 (3 months = 13 weeks, so 9 months = 39 weeks)

Why would it be hard to eat during residency? I will eat well no matter what, and some residency can't stop me from being healthy.
lol.
You have a) never been pregnant b) never been a resident c) no idea what you're talking about.

eta: You will have no time to prepare healthy food (even if you're not pregnant or a mother and would otherwise have the energy - didn't you say you need 8 hours of sleep already just to function? Plan to bump that up a few hours while you're pregnant.) and no money to buy healthy food, especially if you're trying to pay your student loans down asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Maybe he didn't want kids as much as I do. Kids are my #1 dream and priority.

You are not listening to the advice given. What you are asking for is impossible. There I said it.
There are too many things you want.

Well I want to eat a pound of M&Ms and lose 10 pounds at the same time.

You are saying you want derm through an MD/PHD program and you want 4 kids during a short period of time. So lets break this down. Not to disuade you, but maybe help you make a more informed decision:

1) You want derm, fine... I dont care about whatever reason you come up with for why you want it, whether its sound or not, whatever... Your chances are insanely low... period. Even if you are a gift from God himself born only to deal with skin issues in practice. So that is one thing that is making your "dream not probable." Its just pure chance that has to be set up by years of insanely hard work.
2) Secondly you want 4 kids in an extremely short amount of time. Fine, but realize this will a) make you starve.. seriously you physically will not have the money to do it during med school and residency. b) make you go insane.. you complain about not being able to work with less than 8 hours of sleep. I PROMISE you will not get sleep. This is a VERY REAL thing, and will make your grades suffer and make your children's lives worse c) this will absolutely cause issues with the residency program you are going through.
3) You want an MD/PHD to pay your way. Fine, I understand the concept of wanting to save money (although it wont in the long run but I will not argue it). Again your chances are beyond low. Have you checked what your GPA will be IF you get straights A's from here on out, I bet $100 it is not high enough to get into an MD/PHD, and it sounds like you dont have enough research experience/pubs to get in period. 2 more years is not enough time to get that kind of experience.

So to recap:
you want to get a degree that historically you have to owe crap tons of money going through.... but you want it for free
You want to have a crap ton of kids and have oodles of time for them... but you will not have this time because of the degree you chose
you want to go into the most competitive specialty and go through the most competitive programs when you do not have the grades, experience, or social aptitude to even become accepted.

My suggestion through all this. Just take a step back. Take it one thing at a time. Choose what you want to do because you like it. Choose what you want to do based on what you can feasibly accomplish in your life. And then everything will work out around it if (like you said) you continue to work hard. You are not out of the running of doing some of this stuff. But you are biting off WAY too much and we here are trying to give advice to help bring you back to some reality so the fall wont hurt later.

Please stop arguing and posting. Just listen for a sec.

Reactions: 5 users
Okay this is one oft-repeated myth that really bugs me. If 40 weeks is 10 months, how many months is 12 weeks? 3 months? So since there's 52 weeks in a year, does that mean there are 13 months in a year? Furthermore, the actual average length of pregnancy (as in from conception to birth) is right about 38 weeks. We just call it 40 because it's easier to know exactly when your last period was than when you ovulated. So you're not even pregnant for the first 2 weeks of those 40, and you typically won't know you're pregnant for the next 2 weeks.

9 is a much more accurate estimate of the number of months you're pregnant than 10 (3 months = 13 weeks, so 9 months = 39 weeks)

interesting I had never thought of it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.