can you becom MD or DO after getting a PA Licence..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ne14

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys, I just wanted to know if it's possible to become MD/DO after attending a PA program or if you can transfer to MD/DO programs or not.:rolleyes:
thankyou for the prompt reply's

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply just like anyone else, but credits generally do not transfer. a few programs wave certain classes, but as a rule don't expect transfer credit

Thanks emedpa... are you pa and if you are, are you trying fro MD/DO programs as well. and how hard it is to get in after completing PA programs...:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how non-traditional-student-friendly the school is.

Many schools like to have former medical professionals in their programs. I have a PA in my med school class. Nothing from his PA degree transfers, but he has a good head start on us in some of the classes.

Thankyou Dr.Mom... Are you in DO or Allopathic program. just curious. I admire your courage of going thru this tought journey.
good luck with your endeavors.
harman

We had a PA in our medical school class...as a matter of fact we had RN's, RPh's, RT's, and myself a PT. Classes prior had DC's and DDS's. Generally, it is still the "hard core" Science/biochem people that score the highest in the first two years. Previous medical experience helps in years 3-4. Though none of the credits transfered, there are east coast schools (I believe NYCOM) that allow FMG physicians to receive 1 or 2 year credits prior to RE-entering US Medical Schools.

I go to nycom and there are a couple PAs in my class. They applied in the traditional manner- I am sure their background in healthcare made them attractive candidates