Can you become a veterinarian with only a biology degree?

AMahabir7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to attend college in January, however, I want to make sure I have everything set before attending. I have researched an in-state college that offers a biology course. On their website, it says "In all of its forms, from the molecular level to the whole organism, studies in biology create opportunities that prepare students for a full range of professions. A degree in biology also prepares graduates to pursue other academic interests like med school, pharmacology or veterinary medicine." It made me wonder if you're able to become a veterinarian with only a biology degree or will it require additional studies? Thank you!
Here's the link also: Bachelor of Science: Biology | Georgia Gwinnett College

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm about to attend college in January, however, I want to make sure I have everything set before attending. I have researched an in-state college that offers a biology course. On their website, it says "In all of its forms, from the molecular level to the whole organism, studies in biology create opportunities that prepare students for a full range of professions. A degree in biology also prepares graduates to pursue other academic interests like med school, pharmacology or veterinary medicine." It made me wonder if you're able to become a veterinarian with only a biology degree or will it require additional studies? Thank you!
Here's the link also: Bachelor of Science: Biology | Georgia Gwinnett College
You should note it says PREPARE you for. Vet school is a professional school that requires four years beyond pre-reqs/undergrad degree programs.

Reactions: 1 user
You should note it says PREPARE you for. Vet school is a professional school that requires four years beyond pre-reqs/undergrad degree programs.
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure

Members don't see this ad :)
Vet schools have a list of required courses that must be completed before you can apply. These will include biology, and also other courses like chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry, physics, microbiology, stats/trig/calc, anatomy/physiology, speech, and other base level courses.

Then you have to apply with these courses completed (and a competitive GPA earned taking these courses) plus you'll need to take the GRE and have some hours volunteering/working in a veterinary or animal care environment. You'll need some letters of recommendation - at least three, with one from a vet (generally).

And then if you are accepted - then you can go to vet school, a four year degree.

The requirements and such may be different for schools outside of the US (non-AVMA accredited schools). But you'll still need more than a biology class.

Hang around and read posts here and there - everything will start to make more sense. We're generally pretty nice here.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you can apply to vet school with a BS in Bio with all the pre-reqs.