Can you become a veterinarian with only a biology degree?

Aug 23, 2017
Hi, I'm about to attend college in January, however, I want to make sure I have everything set before attending. I have researched an in-state college that offers a biology course. On their website, it says "In all of its forms, from the molecular level to the whole organism, studies in biology create opportunities that prepare students for a full range of professions. A degree in biology also prepares graduates to pursue other academic interests like med school, pharmacology or veterinary medicine." It made me wonder if you're able to become a veterinarian with only a biology degree or will it require additional studies? Thank you!
Here's the link also: Bachelor of Science: Biology | Georgia Gwinnett College

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
Jun 21, 2012
Status
  1. Veterinarian
Hi, I'm about to attend college in January, however, I want to make sure I have everything set before attending. I have researched an in-state college that offers a biology course. On their website, it says "In all of its forms, from the molecular level to the whole organism, studies in biology create opportunities that prepare students for a full range of professions. A degree in biology also prepares graduates to pursue other academic interests like med school, pharmacology or veterinary medicine." It made me wonder if you're able to become a veterinarian with only a biology degree or will it require additional studies? Thank you!
Here's the link also: Bachelor of Science: Biology | Georgia Gwinnett College
You should note it says PREPARE you for. Vet school is a professional school that requires four years beyond pre-reqs/undergrad degree programs.

Reactions: batsenecal
About the Ads
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
  1. Veterinarian
Vet schools have a list of required courses that must be completed before you can apply. These will include biology, and also other courses like chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry, physics, microbiology, stats/trig/calc, anatomy/physiology, speech, and other base level courses.

Then you have to apply with these courses completed (and a competitive GPA earned taking these courses) plus you'll need to take the GRE and have some hours volunteering/working in a veterinary or animal care environment. You'll need some letters of recommendation - at least three, with one from a vet (generally).

And then if you are accepted - then you can go to vet school, a four year degree.

The requirements and such may be different for schools outside of the US (non-AVMA accredited schools). But you'll still need more than a biology class.

Hang around and read posts here and there - everything will start to make more sense. We're generally pretty nice here.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads