Can you become an orthodontist after graduating and working as a GP for few years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chobingsoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also if your GPA or rank was not incredible, can you improve your chance while working as a general dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there anyone who is an orthodontist and became one after practicing GP for few years? If there are, care to share the process you went through?

Depends where you are - in Australia or New Zealand you have to have at least a couple of years of work experience as a general dentist before you apply.

However I haven't heard of anyone who's had rankings below the 80th percentile during dental school or not acing the FRACDS Primary Examination get an interview. One of the incoming residents with me has close to 15 years of general dentistry experience.

If you check out the previous orthodontic program entry stats on the dentists/residents forum there are plenty who have worked for 3-4 years who have matched into US match and non-match programs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk