Can you deduct fellowship interview expenses (flights, hotels, etc) on taxes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiatslug

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in CA, if that means anything (moving to Oregon, but filing only CA & fed taxes this year). We have someone to do our taxes but haven't asked him this yet. Also, can you deduct moving expenses to a new job (ie fellowship?).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that you cannot deduct expenses for fellowship because it is NOT a new job (ie, you aren't leaving medicine for b-school). Therefore, I think it no different than residency expenses in that regard. Lots of posts about it in the Finances forum.

It is my understanding that you cannot deduct expenses for fellowship because it is NOT a new job (ie, you aren't leaving medicine for b-school). Therefore, I think it no different than residency expenses in that regard. Lots of posts about it in the Finances forum.

So I was told that after Jan 2008, I can deduct moving expenses and travel related to moving for my NEW job as a resident. Have you heard of this. Technically, I really didn't have a "paid" job as a med student.

So I was told that after Jan 2008, I can deduct moving expenses and travel related to moving for my NEW job as a resident. Have you heard of this. Technically, I really didn't have a "paid" job as a med student.

EVERY year we go through this and the vast consensus is that NO you cannot deduct expenses for residency training. Obviously I am not an accountant, but unless the rules have changed, many knowledgeable people have stated clearly that you cannot use these deductions unless the rules have changed very very recently (because I asked about it for fellowship last year).

Please do a search here and in the Finances forums and you'll see the myriad of threads. And if you scroll down to the end of the page, at the bottom you will see relevant related threads including this one: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=482482

Actually, the IRS allows deductions for expenses to obtain a job in the SAME field only:
Job Search Expenses
You can deduct certain expenses you have in looking for a new job in your present occupation, even if you do not get a new job. You cannot deduct these expenses if:

* You are looking for a job in a new occupation,
* There was a substantial break between the ending of your last job and your looking for a new one, or
* You are looking for a job for the first time.

They don't allow deductions for a job in a new field (which is why residency doesn't count, because med school isn't a job any anyone starting residency is starting a job in a new field). So, fellowship interview expenses could be considered a means to get a job in the same field (physician), assuming the government recognizes residency as a job and not strictly an educational thing (have to figure that one out).

Moving expenses are different. According to this, you should be able to deduct moving expenses for starting residency as long as you meet the distance and time requirements.

Actually, the IRS allows deductions for expenses to obtain a job in the SAME field only:
Job Search Expenses
You can deduct certain expenses you have in looking for a new job in your present occupation, even if you do not get a new job. You cannot deduct these expenses if:

* You are looking for a job in a new occupation,
* There was a substantial break between the ending of your last job and your looking for a new one, or
* You are looking for a job for the first time.

They don't allow deductions for a job in a new field (which is why residency doesn't count, because med school isn't a job any anyone starting residency is starting a job in a new field). So, fellowship interview expenses could be considered a means to get a job in the same field (physician), assuming the government recognizes residency as a job and not strictly an educational thing (have to figure that one out).

Moving expenses are different. According to this, you should be able to deduct moving expenses for starting residency as long as you meet the distance and time requirements.
Wow! Thanks for your help! This was along the lines of what I was told by a resident physician, so these sources are helpful!