Can you defer for a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxL221

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After getting accepted to podiatry school can you defer for a year? I would really like that to work for a year...make a little money and travel before hitting the books?

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to contact the schools directly. Some let you if you have a valid reason and some do not.

There are deferrments available but most schools do not like to do it. If you apply in September and interview in October. You will have a 10 months before you start school in August. There is your time to work and travel.

MaxL221 said:
After getting accepted to podiatry school can you defer for a year? I would really like that to work for a year...make a little money and travel before hitting the books?

2 doors down from me lives a young and prospering orthodontist. he is seriously like 29 yrs old, and is doing very well. he busted ass and got school done. i talk with him from time to time about things, and on one occassion, discussed the option of traveling (or working or any other reason for putting school off for a year). how much could you realistically make in the 10 months you could work. subtract any time for traveling and the expense. compare that to what you could make your first year out of school. probably not as much. traveling is a different story because you won't ever be 2* and able to explore. dollar to dollar however, i'd get school done asap.