Can you do something non-medical after med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dikoerastenie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I became depressed recently. My roommate upset me because he said I was mean to him. I don't need to tell the whole story but it's all about money. He thinks I screwed him but really he screwed me and then talked about some "professional courtesy blablabla". Anyway I was all red with rage and when I woke up the next morning I felt extremely tired. Basically what I am trying to say here is that I get depressed easily. I have an exam in 2 days and I am really behind on my studies. Need a good 3-5hrs of studying right now but feel sleepy.
Anyway I don't experience emotional stress too often. But I know that in medicine it really does happen. I think my ideal occupation is one that is very laid back... Just the process of applying to med school is terribly disappointing. And then I'll have to apply to residencies and on to my first real job. Is there a way to bypass this, to just get some nice job where I am the boss? And obviously money is important to me. I got into this conflict because of money. If I had a big house at least I wouldn't have to worry about such matters.

Members don't see this ad.

You could possibly get a job in a related field, but you cannot be a boss as a untrained physician. Look into careers that match your Bachelor and you could possibly find a job.

You could possibly get a job in a related field, but you cannot be a boss as a untrained physician. Look into careers that match your Bachelor and you could possibly find a job.
Med school application process is terribly painful for me. And the education costs including ugrad are 500k? Do you think after all this pain I might possibly want to be a biologist? lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well Sir, you have to look at your situation and take the best of it. If you have a degree in biology you are obviously going to do something related to biology for a career if you do not want to start your residency. Also, I highly doubt you will be able to be your own boss, unless you start up a business (go for a coffee shop, they always make a killing).

I don't want to be a biologist. I have disgraced my parents. If I don't get into med school this year I might just join the french foreign legion and start a new life.

you can teach, lecture, review books/publications, be on a medical review board for a corporate business, review products for medical safety....

granted, there are probably tons of more seasoned doctors (who have actually practiced) that you would be competing again for these positions.

Why go for the MD if you aren't going to use it though?

are you applying to med school for your parents? the money?

you can teach, lecture, review books/publications, be on a medical review board for a corporate business, review products for medical safety....

granted, there are probably tons of more seasoned doctors (who have actually practiced) that you would be competing again for these positions.

Why go for the MD if you aren't going to use it though?

I must also say that I have no aptitude for teaching or for writing...

Med school application process is terribly painful for me. And the education costs including ugrad are 500k? Do you think after all this pain I might possibly want to be a biologist? lol.

500K is a lot of money to owe after finishing med school, especially if you want a laid back job. It might be a good idea to take a year or two off after undergrad to figure out if you really want to go through med school. Money and parents wishes are probably two of the worst reasons for becoming a doctor.

so...to sum up:

-you're not motivated for the MD (no problem with that)
-you don't like the options that you have with your BS in bio
-you don't like reading or teaching

¿real estate?
¿union coordinator?
¿labor intensive job?
¿marry a rich doctor?

I don't want to be a biologist. I have disgraced my parents. If I don't get into med school this year I might just join the french foreign legion and start a new life.

Why the hell did you get a degree in biology then? Also, you seem very pessimistic and have no outlook on life. Maybe you should just give up seeing how every option given to you is turned down.

If you cant handle that little bit, then you better run like hell for the door....

or see someone and get help!!!

so...to sum up:

-you're not motivated for the MD (no problem with that)
-you don't like the options that you have with your BS in bio
-you don't like reading or teaching

¿real estate?
¿union coordinator?
¿labor intensive job?
¿marry a rich doctor?
Would a rich female doctor be interested in an unemployed loser? I don't care if she's ugly, I still have not a shot.
Actually, I am just not good at writing or teaching. I am ok at reading. I have a moderate interest whether I am reading a virology textbook or a history textbook. But I'd prefer to read it while lying on a hammock in southern france.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way to bypass this, to just get some nice job where I am the boss? And obviously money is important to me. I got into this conflict because of money. If I had a big house at least I wouldn't have to worry about such matters.

Would a rich female doctor be interested in an unemployed loser? I don't care if she's ugly, I still have not a shot.
Actually, I am just not good at writing or teaching. I am ok at reading. I have a moderate interest whether I am reading a virology textbook or a history textbook. But I'd prefer to read it while lying on a hammock in southern france.

:rolleyes:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: :troll: , for he will continue to post nothing but :spam:

that seems to be prereq from what I have seen.....:D

Women love losers!!! Especially the more sucessful ones!!

LMAO. We do love to pick the broken down dogs and try to fix them up. Everyone loves a good project, right? You might want to run with this idea and be the best bum you can be. The average bum on the streets of NY makes bank! As does the average valet parking attendant in Las Vegas. Hey man, hope is not lost - you have plenty of options!

LMAO. We do love to pick the broken down dogs and try to fix them up. Everyone loves a good project, right?

Yea, everyone gets the gotta-fix-'ems at some point or another. Troll, I suggest you find a successful woman who is about to take the first vacation she has had in a decade and just follow her wherever she's going. If you can bag yourself a mid-life-crisis-wife, just pretend to be an "artist" (unemployed) who is "free spirited" (flakey and unpredictable), and you'll be rolling in money like Scrooge McDuck in no time.

Yea, everyone gets the gotta-fix-'ems at some point or another. Troll, I suggest you find a successful woman who is about to take the first vacation she has had in a decade and just follow her wherever she's going. If you can bag yourself a mid-life-crisis-wife, just pretend to be an "artist" (unemployed) who is "free spirited" (flakey and unpredictable), and you'll be rolling in money like Scrooge McDuck in no time.
You actually have to be an unemployed artist to pull that off. I have no aptitude for writing, teaching, acting. My gf is a m-1 and she will soon dump me too.

qft

Troll threads are kind of amusing sometimes.

Scully from the X-files finished med school and joined the FBI! So to answer your question: you could get a sex-change and wear a trench coat and chase aliens.

Scully from the X-files finished med school and joined the FBI! So to answer your question: you could get a sex-change and wear a trench coat and chase aliens.

Yeah but in the end you end up abducted by aliens and naked in a pod filled a jello like goo.

whereever you go i hope they have a psych eval because you sound kind of crazy