Can you get into a Med school in 3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofMpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to finish my undergrad quickly (in about 3 years) and I am wondering if it is true that med schools dislike 3 year applicants?

-Why would med schools look down on 3 year applicants? .... I intend on having all the health-care experience of a traditional 4 year applicant.

-What should I do to help admissions look past that I'm applying after 3 years of undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Do a year of research prior to application?

3 year applicants have at least one less year of experience in everything. If you apply during college, you'll only have max 2 years of any activity.

Don't take this as gospel but I think the reason why is because a lot of people are not mature enough after 3 years of undergrad (assuming a traditional student). You will be scrutinized for maturity more intensely than students 1-3 years your senior. Can you prove your maturity in your PS, ECs, and interview rigorously? It is very difficult for most -- you don't know how mature you are unless you are mature. Irony :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, thanks for your input. Thing is I already completed 40+ credits before entering U of M. Should I stay four years and complete a year of graduate work? and if so what kind?

- Oh and another question: Would it be unreasonable to expect credit for things I did senior year in high school on my Med school app?

Hmm, thanks for your input. Thing is I already completed 40+ credits before entering U of M. Should I stay four years and complete a year of graduate work? and if so what kind?

- Oh and another question: Would it be unreasonable to expect credit for things I did senior year in high school on my Med school app?

If you need to save money I don't see the point in sticking around for an extra year of education, unless it's something that furthers your career goals.

Few HS things can go on a med school application - college coursework is the main exception. I imagine publications in peer-reviewed medical journals would count but I've never seen a high school student with that.

Hmm well I might as well plan ahead considering my chances of getting in after 3 years are not all that good.

There's no reason you can't graduate in three years, apply then at the traditional time, and spend a glide year doing something interesting besides school that will give you good fodder for update letters to schools and provide a topic for interview conversations.

One generally only lists HS activities that continued into the college years.

An SDN member who is on an adcomm made these comments about applying at a younger age:
:
Because we don't discriminate based on age, and we consider applicants as individuals, at least at my school.
All applicants' maturity is under intense scrutiny. Regardless of age, if you don't have significant clinical experience, that's a red flag. Regardless of age, if you can't reasonably articulate why you want to go to med school, that's a red flag. Regardless of age, if you show signs of inability to cope appropriately under intense stress, that's a red flag. Regardless of age, if you have an inconsistent academic record that suggests you might flunk out of school or not pass the boards, that's a red flag. Regardless of age, if you seem to only think about yourself and demonstrate no interest in entering a service profession at least in part to serve others, that's a red flag.

There are people of all ages who have one or more of these red flags. The OP's age itself is *not* the red flag here.

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm not AS nervous about my prospects of getting into med school.:)