Can you get into medical school with no general bio and upper levels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMagic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am talking about no general bio, but taking other upper division classes, such as a cardiovascular course, cancer bio, community bio etc. I am also talking about not having any AP courses in bio. I see that most medical schools mention just "biology" in general, and not "general bio" and even the ones that mention "general bio" may have the intention of that meaning "basic bio." Based on what I have found out from people, they have typically mentioned that they had AP courses, and elected to skip that biological science course, I don't know if they received credit or just moved on to another course in the sequence. My situation is where I started pre-med later, and started jumping into upper division courses doing fine, because I had a biological science course 4 credits as a freshman back in the day, although they claimed it was for non-majors at my particular school, I don't know if they used "principles" or "concepts" but I didn't feel like taking a big 5 credit hour class that would take up all my time with a bunch of freshman, so I just started in upper level courses that had more of a lecture component. The 4 credit hour class I took had a lab, and I also took a 3000 level genetics laboratory course. My final question, is there any upper level courses in bio where the med schools think that course is easy? Overall my post bac science is about 3.7.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to take a year of gen bio, check with the med school but pretty sure most want to see it as gen bio for bio/chem/PT/nursing so it has to be geared towards science/health majors. You need a year of gen bio labs too. And that 3000 level genetics is impressive, mine was only 300

I can't see how you can get away with that. Some schools will take upper level credit in place of the gen bio credit if they received AP credit, but I think it'd be a stretch to get that same accommodation with no lower level credit.

As with all things, call individual schools to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will accept upper levels instead of lower levels. At my school, the BME's doing premed did an 3 quarter A&P Series, a 1 quarter upper level cell structure and a 1 quarter upper level genetics class. All of the school in Ohio accepted these replacements.

Also, if you want to try to get away without doing the standard science courses, Cincinnati doesn't have any formal course requirements (I never did phyisics lab, O Chem III Lab and only did 1 bio course):D

You have to take a year of gen bio, check with the med school but pretty sure most want to see it as gen bio for bio/chem/PT/nursing so it has to be geared towards science/health majors. You need a year of gen bio labs too. And that 3000 level genetics is impressive, mine was only 300

Some schools use the 1000 numbering system instead of the 100. I have no real clue why they do so, other than I've seen they tend to put the web/hybrid courses as X100 or X500 sections /shrug

Most require Gen Bio as a pre-req but contact schools of choice to see.

The MSAR has a table showing that 92 of 134 schools required biology, and 37 biology/zoology. It doesn't include specifics but I'm pretty sure that would mean general bio, although there's no telling whether or not upper division courses may fulfill the requirement.
If you did well on upper division that's great for you, but IMO general bio is hard because it has to cover pretty much every topic in biology in a relatively short time.
If you've taken physiology, genetics, cell & molecular, microbiology as upper division, then you don't have much to worry about since those are the harder materials that has to be mastered in gen bio. But if you haven't taken them, and you don't plan on taking such classes, take gen bio for your own sake.

AT MINIMUM, you really should take general bio I, which usually covers cellular and molecular biology. I think that you will find future topics such as immunology, hematology, and histology difficult without an elementary foundation.

None of the other courses you've taken sound like suitable replacements for GB II. By not completing the GB series, you will limit your options. I also worry that adcoms might question why you didn't take general biology...i.e. "Was he avoiding difficult classes?" You need to remember that adcoms use your grades from these basic courses to compare you to other applicants. You make this task difficult for them when you are a-typical.

Like another poster mentioned: Upper-division courses that MIGHT work as substitutes would include the following: microbiology (w/ lab), physiology (w/ lab), and cell biology (w/lab), molecular biology (w/ lab), and evolution/genetics. IF you complete most of these, you will have covered the majority of the GB topics and you will be prepared for the mcat.

When in doubt: Call the medical schools that you are interested in.

Ps - "Cancer Bio" and "Community Bio" sound like nice ELECTIVES for MPH students. You need to take the typical courses for biology majors. They provide the background needed for the mcat and for MS. If you're interested in cancer, I recommend taking molecular biology and genetics....and then going to medical school. Don't waste time with BS classes.

Last edited:
I can't see how you can get away with that. Some schools will take upper level credit in place of the gen bio credit if they received AP credit, but I think it'd be a stretch to get that same accommodation with no lower level credit.

As with all things, call individual schools to make sure.

This.

But you should take Gen Bio...it's fun.

The MSAR has a table showing that 92 of 134 schools required biology, and 37 biology/zoology. It doesn't include specifics but I'm pretty sure that would mean general bio, although there's no telling whether or not upper division courses may fulfill the requirement.
If you did well on upper division that's great for you, but IMO general bio is hard because it has to cover pretty much every topic in biology in a relatively short time.
If you've taken physiology, genetics, cell & molecular, microbiology as upper division, then you don't have much to worry about since those are the harder materials that has to be mastered in gen bio. But if you haven't taken them, and you don't plan on taking such classes, take gen bio for your own sake.

I agree with this. The curve is extremely generous for GEN BIO at my school (includes BIO I and II in same course), an A is 60% (which I don't understand because the questions are not that hard, they are virtually directly off the notes which are the most detailed notes I have seen)!!!!! I have a huge database of practice tests and have studied some of the material on my own. The TIME COMMITMENT is huge though for LAB about 6 hours per week and lecture 3 days a week.

how are you going to do well on the mcats if you have not had cell/molec/genetics ?

I know a girl, an engineer, who got 30+ on first MCAT with no biology course and no orgo II. I see your point though, it is important to have the foundation.

YES SIR, I TOOK A 3000 level genetics course, yes that's right, one decimal past yours lol jk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will accept upper levels instead of lower levels. At my school, the BME's doing premed did an 3 quarter A&P Series, a 1 quarter upper level cell structure and a 1 quarter upper level genetics class. All of the school in Ohio accepted these replacements.

Also, if you want to try to get away without doing the standard science courses, Cincinnati doesn't have any formal course requirements (I never did phyisics lab, O Chem III Lab and only did 1 bio course):D

WOW that is amazing! Yes I am BME and also have an ME degree. I noticed sometimes they put courses on the engineering curriculum that are way upper level physiology etc. with pre-reqs but they don't make the engineer take the pre-reqs? Go figure. I think Purdue has this. Ohio??? Wow my family is all from Ohio. I have all my family from there, many living close to medical schools.

THIS IS AWESOME OF U, I agree with Cincinnati Schools that having a bunch of bio doesn't make you a better doctor necessarily.

If you've taken physiology, genetics, cell &' molecular, microbiology as upper division, then you don't have much to worry about since those are the harder materials that has to be mastered in gen bio. But if you haven't taken them, and you don't plan on taking such classes, take gen bio for your own sake.

:thumbup: this; first two replies in the thread are wrong. med schools will take "a year of college biology with lab," end of story. That said, i'd make sure the upper levels you take are relevant, for sake of both your MCAT (the gen bio concepts you can teach yourself out of review books if you're not having trouble with the upper levels) and the adcoms.

think of this this way: if OP applies with 8 credits of cell bio/genetics, both with lab, would med schools really tell him "no, come back next year when you've taken gen bio"? um, no. only exception would be a place that explicitly demanded the intro bio sequence, but i don't think i've ever seen that.

I never took general biology. I examined the syllabus and decided I had a good understanding of most of the concepts already. I'm just not very interested in nonhuman biology. I did buy the textbook and read it. In place of general bio, I took 2 semesters of Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, and a 1 semester "Biology for Healthcare Workers" class.

My advisor told me I technically should have taken general biology, but it isn't something to worry about keeping me out of school. 2 semesters of any biology + lab is the minimum, though most people have more. I was very well prepared for the MCAT biology section. I think taking Micro, Anatomy, and Biochem is actually more useful for the MCAT than general biology. Most of the passages have something to do with those topics. Bringing in outside knowledge can save you when you can't find the answer in the passage.

Last edited:
I never took general biology. I examined the syllabus and decided I had a good understanding of most of the concepts already. I'm just not very interested in nonhuman biology. I did buy the textbook and read it. In place of general bio, I took 2 semesters of Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, and a 1 semester "Biology for Healthcare Workers" class.

My advisor told me I technically should have taken general biology, but it isn't something to worry about keeping me out of school. 2 semesters of any biology + lab is the minimum, though most people have more. I was very well prepared for the MCAT biology section. I think taking Micro, Anatomy, and Biochem is actually more useful for the MCAT than general biology. Most of the passages have something to do with those topics. Bringing in outside knowledge can save you when you can't find the answer in the passage.

That's great, but have you talked to medical schools about this? Advisers aren't necessarily trustworthy in these kinds of situations.

This is more than fine. You took many advanced biology courses, which will essentially substitute for the prereq. Don't worry you'll be fine wherever you apply. My adviser has told me the same thing, and he was the former dean of admissions at the University's medical school. If it's coming from some one like him it's legitimate.

This is more than fine. You took many advanced biology courses, which will essentially substitute for the prereq. Don't worry you'll be fine wherever you apply. My adviser has told me the same thing, and he was the former dean of admissions at the University's medical school. If it's coming from some one like him it's legitimate.

It might be true at some schools, but schools are very finicky about what they will and will not accept for pre-req credit. You really shouldn't assume anything.

It might be true at some schools, but schools are very finicky about what they will and will not accept for pre-req credit. You really shouldn't assume anything.

I would listen to him and check with schools. Imagine getting rejected from medical school because of a technicality like this. Don't leave it up to chance!

I would listen to him and check with schools. Imagine getting rejected from medical school because of a technicality like this. Don't leave it up to chance!

Nothing I can do about it now. I'm finished taking undergrad classes. Submitting my application next week. I can't really bring myself to worry about it. I rocked the MCAT and I have a 4.0 GPA for my 4 semesters of post-bacc work (all bio, chemistry, and physics). Biology classes are the easiest ones, in my opinion. If you're a good reader with a good memory, that's all you need... not much problem solving or critical thinking is required. It's just mastering the vocabulary and doing periodic info dumps.

The idea that a school would reject me for not taking freshman general bio seems farfetched, though entirely possible in this world of bull**** we call medical school application.

Last edited:
Nothing I can do about it now. I'm finished taking undergrad classes. Submitting my application next week. I can't really bring myself to worry about it. I rocked the MCAT and I have a 4.0 GPA for my 4 semesters of post-bacc work (all bio, chemistry, and physics). Biology classes are the easiest ones, in my opinion. If you're a good reader with a good memory, that's all you need... not much problem solving or critical thinking is required. It's just mastering the vocabulary and doing periodic info dumps.

The idea that a school would reject me for not taking freshman general bio seems farfetched, though entirely possible in this world of bull**** we call medical school application.

Well... it's not like this is a surprise. Hopefully they'll be understanding, but you should go in with your tail in between your legs.

OP: I got in with a D in 'foundations of biology 1', and a slew of A's in upper level biology courses. I never retook bio 1 because a lot of schools say "two semesters biology with lab, independent of zoology", and like you I had A's in 300 level biology courses -it would be pretty dumb for someone to tell you to take Bio 1 after that. I'm too lazy to recheck individual schools' wording on the MSAR right now but you should - if the wording I wrote above is the case, then you're fine.