can you get rejected after an interview and not be put on a waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

radiohead_fan

are there schools that flat out reject you after an interview, without putting you on a waitlist? does anyone know of any schools that do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I think after interviews most people are rejected rather than waitlisted actually.

You must not be currently applying. I believe they all do. If you are applying and don't have first-hand experience with this, you are one lucky dude/dudette!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Radiohead_fan is gearing up for the upcoming application cycle...? Anyway, yes, all schools that I know of routinely reject people after interviews. That's what people mean when they say "rejection post interview." Hope this helps :) !

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Wahoo:
•Yes, I think after interviews most people are rejected rather than waitlisted actually.•••••Actually Wahoo, I'm waitlisted up the wazoo. God, these pre-interview rejections are starting to take their toll on me. I'm not even funny anymore. :rolleyes:

There are schools that do reject some people post interview while there are some that waitlist everyone. Pitt and Duke (unfortunately) reject people post interview.

Would anyone know if Temple sends out post interview rejections, or do they place non accepted applicants on a waitlist until they have their class filled?

My impression is that most schools reject people post-interview, but that the number of such outright post-interview rejection is small at most of those schools. It also seems to vary from school to school. I think UW rejects students post-interview in small, but still significant, number. I've heard that Tufts rejects very few right after the interview.

I have no idea about Temple's policy, and I've been trying to find this out. My CCL placement letter said that everyone who is presented to the committee is either rejected or put on the CCL. I don't know if that meant everyone who applies or everyone who interviews.

I often wondered why schools can't just waitlist the remaining interviewed applicants. We're only talkin about a few hundred applicants, depending on the school, right?!? Maybe there needs to be further distinction, post-interview. :confused:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by otter:
•I have no idea about Temple's policy, and I've been trying to find this out. My CCL placement letter said that everyone who is presented to the committee is either rejected or put on the CCL. I don't know if that meant everyone who applies or everyone who interviews.•••••I'm not sure if Temple outright rejects either. I haven't seen it on this board. However, I do know that not everyone is immediately placed on the CCL. I was accepted 4 weeks post-interview, as were a few of my friends.

"I often wondered why schools can't just waitlist the remaining interviewed applicants. We're only talkin about a few hundred applicants, depending on the school, right?!? Maybe there needs to be further distinction, post-interview"

I think many schools interview more than a few hundred. Also, at every school, some people (though not too many) will just interview badly, come across as arrogant or ignorant etc. Thus these peeps should be rejected (at least in the eyes of the ad com)--why put them on a waiting list? In general I think if you had a decent interview you have a good shot of making a waitlist at any school. Unless you had really really low numbers to begin with and the school was hoping you'd have a more stellar interview or something. again if the ad com thinks that you can't cut it at the school, why out the person on a waitlist and just not reject (yeah I know--why interview them in the first place then?)

I have been rejected from two schools following interview, one of them my first choice. One school I was at though, Cincinnati, I believe said everyone that doesn't get accepted is put on hold.