Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Can you give up caffeine for Loma Linda?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by help79, Jul 24, 2006.

1. help79

help79 Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but wanted to know your genuine opinion. I am religious and so don't get involved in drugs, smoking, or alcohol. Those things I can abstain from easily. But caffeine, is a different story. How serious is Lomda Linda regarding these restrictions? Any current medical students out there have input? I have the secondary on hand and am struggling with whether I could complete it with good consicence recognizing that I may not be able to comply with this standard.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I gave up caffeine in March 2004 for the Aug MCAT. Never went back. Now alcohol on the otherhand...

4. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell

caffeine is a drug, isn't it?

5. Johnny_one_eye

Johnny_one_eye Phleboptimist

Medical Student
    Their secondary says you have to give up smoking, alcohol and caffeine? :eek: :eek: That's ridiculous.

6. strawberryfield

Attending Physician
    hahaha... me too Depakote... caffeine I could do without, but EtOH... oh my, I don't think I could make it! :laugh: It's too much fun to drink on the weekends! :p

7. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    is SDN a drug??

8. zach1201

zach1201 Senior Member

You're serious... You have to give up caffeine.

Ephedra, here I come! ;)

9. Oculus Sinistra

Oculus Sinistra Finish it.

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, you should definitely ask the current students there in the Allopathic Forums.

Personally, I refuse to give up caffeine... I don't drink coffee, but I love Mountain Dew and if I need to stay awake for med school/rotations... I'm going to need the caffeine to keep me going.

So obviously I'm not applying there.

10. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II

Medical Student
    Banning caffeine at a medical school of all places seems outlandish. Yeah, caffeine is evil- because it makes you feel good and lets you stay alert. Evil!

11. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus

Well, I don't go crazy for it, but I do enjoy the occasional soda. When I was told to give up caffeine though, I was happy to learn that Sprite actually didn't have caffeine in it. So I can give up caffeine. But not sodas. Alcohol is easy, as I don't drink. Drugs, psssh, I don't take those either.

12. EazyE

EazyE Member

Pre-Medical
    you will never know if you dont try

13. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Does Loma Linda have a mormon affiliation or something?

14. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    Lol, Its really not all that serious guys. You won't be able to buy it on LLU's campus, but you can easily go to Starbucks and bring it on campus. You won't be kicked out for that. Or if the Dean sees you drinking a mountain dew, you won't get a bad LOR. Just answer the question as "yes" and if you need it, go and buy it.

15. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    No. Loma Linda is a Seventh-day Adventist School.

Here is their physician's oath:

"The Loma Linda University Physician's Oath
    Before God these things I do promise:

In the acceptance of my sacred calling,

I will dedicate my life to the furtherance of Jesus Christ's healing and teaching ministry.

I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due. I will impart to those who follow me, the knowledge and experience that I have gained.

The wholeness of my patient will be my first consideration.

Acting as a good steward of the resources of society and of the talents granted me, I will endeavor to reflect God's mercy and compassion by caring for the lonely, the poor, the suffering, and those who are dying.

I will maintain the utmost respect for human life. I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity. I will respect the rights and decision of my patients.

I will hold in confidence all secrets committed to my keeping in the practice of my calling.

I will lead my life and practice my art with purity, and honor; abstaining from immorality myself, I will not lead others into moral wrong doing.

May God's kingdom, His healing power and glory be experienced by those whom I serve, and may they be made known in my life, in proportion as I am faithful to this oath."

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Dr Durden

Medical Student
    Man, and I thought we Catholics had it bad...

18. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    lol, if you want to be technical is "Seventh-day Adventist". I learrned in school that we don't officially capitalize the "d". Not sure why it matters, but w.e.

19. Dov

Dov Banned
    Banned

Medical Student
    I wish Red Bull was my blood

20. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    I got to an Adventist college, and while there is no meat or caffeine products on campus, you can drive off campus to McDonalds and grab a Big Mac or you can or Chinese and have it delivered. Trust me, it isn't going to be a lock down, but it also won't be like a party campus.

21. dittozip

dittozip Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    If you go to this school, does that mean no masterbation either......

22. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER

Medical Student
    Whatever, I don't use and have never used caffeine to stay up. (Mostly because it doesn't really keep me up or have anything other than a diuretic effect on me.)

I'm pretty sure most people could give it up. Initially, you're probably going to have problems, but after a while...it's not really a big deal.

23. tandski

tandski MS3

Medical Student
    THey don't, but that is interesting that they have that similarity.

24. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    Lol, gotta give it up some day.

25. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    How are they going to police you guys on:
    Masturbation
    Caffeine
    Meat Eating, etc?

They aren't. They have acknowledged on the website that you DON'T have to be a seventh-day adventist to go there. At the same time, you probably need to be respectful of the seventh-day lifestyle/beliefs in order to go there, being tolerant and kind to your devout classmates. I bet that it is the same at any serious self-proclaimed Jesuit or Jewish institution as well.

26. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus

I've been on hydrocodone for painkillers once. I never want drugs. I had the urge...

27. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER

Medical Student
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure that they don't actively spy on you to check if you are following this stuff or not. Pretty much, if you don't do it blatantly and such.

I've heard that the LLU hospital has similar prohibitions. You can drink coffee, but you have to bring it in yourself in closed containers and they don't have any coffee makers in the building.

28. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    ahh adventist, the famous ben carson was an adventist

29. joanofarc0907

joanofarc0907 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah see this is why i chose not to apply to any religious affiliated schools

30. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    acatually this brings into mind, me going to a devoutly jewish school while not being jewish myself (im chinese and buddhist). It certainly put an interesting spin on things, things wouldnt really be open on saturday, looking for friday night food on campus was difficult. But all in all, keeping kosher or any other practice that the jewish follow was never imposed upon me. Im sure i would fare just fine at LL. Itd certainly be an interesting experience nonetheless.

31. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Attending Anesthesiologist

Attending Physician

:laugh: :laugh:

32. GoodDoctor

GoodDoctor Senior Member

Medical Student
    I gave up caffeine b/c of unrelated sleep problems. I had withdrawal headaches for 3 days straight. :barf:
    Now, though, I use it for the occasional unavoidable all-nighter or early morning exam, and it works wonders when your body has become unaccustomed to it. :scared:

33. bgtati

bgtati Senior Member

Hey buddy last I checked caffeine was a drug. Correct me if I'm wrong.

[​IMG][​IMG]

34. Vox Animo

Vox Animo Runs with Scissors

Medical Student

Why would you have to give it up someday?

35. MasterMD

MasterMD it's a smile on the rocks

Medical Student
    i don't really drink caffeine for caffeine, but i like to enjoy a diet coke once a month... and i like to have people over for a few beers and hanging out.. i've read that they say you can't do these things but is it like a lifestyle change thye want from you? obviously you can't do it on campus, and they can't enforce it off campus but do they want you to abide by it off campus too? and i'm assuming sex is out too? haha :laugh:

36. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student

Medical Student
    I'm not a caffeine addict but I do drink it when necessary and when I think I need it. I also like to drink to unwind sometimes (although cutting back since I'm trying to lose weight and all). I would not feel comfortable about living on a school campus which have restrictions on my diet, even if they don't disallow me to bring it onto campus myself. If caffeine, or any substance is an issue for a school, either don't apply or plan on living off campus. It's only four years, but then again, it's four years. Good thing my campus has no such food restriction.....

37. coralfangs

coralfangs Senior Member

does georgetown have similar rules?

man, i am a Christian but i smoke and i drink, dont wanna give any up within 10yrs........

38. -Lexi-

-Lexi- The high cost of living

Pre-Medical
    I'd like you to find me one healthcare worker who can survive without a Dunkin's up here in New England. It's ridiculous. :laugh:

39. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    As long as your daily routine doesn't involve the consumption of delicious, delicious stem cells, you should be fine w/ G-town.

Damn, now I need more stem cells.

40. tncekm

tncekm MS-1

Medical Student
    Nobody actually does it though. I know people who have graduated and interned at Loma Linda and they say caffeine was their best friend :D I personally hate it, so it shouldn't be an issue for me.

41. tncekm

tncekm MS-1

Medical Student
    Stem cells you say? You should grab some of that "CR Cola", by Parker-Stone, Inc. Just like Christopher Reeves, the genius' behind the creation of South Park can give you, too, the bloody fountain of youth when you crack the bloody neck of a CR Cola.

42. help79

help79 Member

Pre-Medical
    wow, thanks for the replies everyone. i attempted to give up caffeine six months before the mcat, and i swear i was having withdrawal symptoms. it took a while but i got over. when i got my score, i relapsed! :mad:

43. BozoSparky

Attending Physician
    haha, ditto.

44. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me

Medical Student
    The only time I drink caffeine is when I'm mixing it with my alchohol. I don't think it is really a hard thing. Not like the second the girl hits the register for the starbucks frappacinno the loma linden swat team will bust through the ceiling, slit the employee's throat, throw you down, handcuff you, drag you out by your hair and proceed to beat you within an inch of your life and then burn your acceptance in front of your eyes...........or do they?

45. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    They just might. I mean, those dangerous Seventh-day adventists. :rolleyes: They're rumored to be even more ninja-like than the Jesuits (I know!) and even more swift than the Jews (despite their amazing nunchuck skills) in enforcing their "rules." :laugh:

This is why I am not sure if I can apply to Loma Linda, Albert Einstein, or Loyola. My ninja skills just aren't that good. And this thread is ridiculous. That's all. :laugh:

46. BlazerMed

BlazerMed King Arthur

Resident [Any Field]
    I was on that for pain after I had shoulder surgery. Probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if it hadn't made me fall asleep within an hour of taking it... There's still half a bottle left... :laugh:

47. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    Haha! Me too. I got some when I had my wisdom teeth unimpacted, and my folks had to chop them in half because they were totally knocking me out. One of those things and I would sleep for 8 hours. My mother was terrified I was going to stop breathing. :eek: I think they still have a huge bottle of that stuff at home somewhere, as once I stopped hurting so much, I didn't want to take them, and they made me queasy anyway. I switched to regular tylenol and stayed awake, albeit a dull ache :D . (I probably could have made money selling those at college, but I wasn't really that...um, business savvy back then.)

48. BlazerMed

BlazerMed King Arthur

Resident [Any Field]
    I was given instructions to transition the from anesthesia drugs to oxy quickly so that I didn't have to deal with any pain. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how quickly oxy would wear off on me, so I didn't wake up at 2am to take my next dose, thinking I'd be okay until I woke up. Once I did, I was quickly wishing I was asleep again. I took two immediatley, and after a couple hours of the pain not getting noticeably better, I said screw the directions and took two more... needless to say, I didn't let it wear off overnight again, but I was terrified of becoming addicted, so I started weaning myself off of it fairly quickly, hence the half bottle left.

49. chewsnuffles

chewsnuffles is a series of tubes

Pre-Medical
    amen. Percasets for me. Wisdom teeth went bad and I got dry socket. I didn't even like the experience because it makes my head feel like cotton (or maybe that was the cotton in my mouth... to much of a blur) and I can't even play computer games because the motion makes me want to puke.
    As for no caffine... there are alternatives, and I've never really "needed it"

50. 63768

63768 Guest

Medical Student
    isn't it spelled percocet? just curious.

for me, the only drug i take is life and by life, i mean flintstones chewables.

51. joe6102

joe6102 by the power of grayskull

Resident [Any Field]
    Why is everyone talking about masturbation and sex? I've never heard a word from Loma Linda about either. Sounds like some of you have spent a little too much time on the computer lately :laugh:

Nobody at LLU cares about caffeine. It is available at a few places on campus, and we have professors who openly drink it while they lecture. Also, if caffeine is a drug, then you have to say salt is a drug too. They are both over-the-counter, frequently added to food products, have some pharmacological effects, and occasionaly are suggested by physicians.

52. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah, and no caffeine = no chocolate