Can you go into research with just an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmay0001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting my MD and going directly for PhD without residency? is this possible

Members don't see this ad.

Waste of time and money. Look into an MD/PhD combined program

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes you can do research with just an MD. You don't even need the PhD to do so. If you are really interested in getting a PhD talk to your program about getting into the MD/PhD program. Assuming your school has one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im thinking of getting my MD and going directly for PhD without residency? is this possible

Agree w/ the comment about looking at the dual degree pathway at your institute (if it has one). And while you do not need a PhD to do basic science research (if that's your goal), you do need a solid amount of protected research time to develop your scientific toolbox and get data for some of the early career grants. This time could also be done in a postdoc, research yrs, or fellowship during/after your residency training.

If you honestly cannot see yourself practicing medicine, why go after the MD? Or are you asking if you can do an MD -> PhD -> residency? Option two would be crazy to even attempt.

Reactions: 1 users
Let me elaborate on the post. So my "wanting" to become a doctor started when i was 2/3years old, my first book was "the human body" and a skeleton that i used to build everyday for 2 years. After A levels i entered into Pharmacy as i was facinated by drugs and how these effect disease. During my Pharmacy ward rounds i saw 1st hand that Pharmacists are limited at their job. After 4 years of Pharmacuetical Science i got a BSC(Hons) and after 1 year i obtained a Masters of Pharmacy:Clinical Pharamcy.

Started working as a Pharmacy manager in 2013 and got bored why you ask??? I was basically doing Accounts, selling vitamins that i personally never agreed to sell as i taught they where utter crap and convincing my patients that the drugs they were taking were good for them. in 2015 i decided to enter Med school and got accepted.

Up till now my grades are AAA and BBB apart from clinical skills where i always get crap grades. (I suck at inserting ven flows, never seem to get the vein!!!)

While studying Cancer biochemistry and genetics i got facinated at the mechanisms involved in Cancer. and asked my slef damn i would really want to do a PhD on this stuff. Reason being a cure is better then current treatment.

Bdw Residency does not worry me, Residents get paid well in Malta AND my MD course is free (I I actually get a stipend for doing the MD course!!!) so i have absolutely no debt.

Agree w/ the comment about looking at the dual degree pathway at your institute (if it has one). And while you do not need a PhD to do basic science research (if that's your goal), you do need a solid amount of protected research time to develop your scientific toolbox and get data for some of the early career grants. This time could also be done in a postdoc, research yrs, or fellowship during/after your residency training.

If you honestly cannot see yourself practicing medicine, why go after the MD? Or are you asking if you can do an MD -> PhD -> residency? Option two would be crazy to even attempt.
I am confused hence my question. I currently dont know if im cut out for residency. I get really good grades in the Science subjects and Diagnosis ect... but clinical skills wise i suck, i never seem to cannulate well, i cant insert catheters and get severe stress when i have to do some cutting.

I am confused hence my question. I currently dont know if im cut out for residency. I get really good grades in the Science subjects and Diagnosis ect... but clinical skills wise i suck, i never seem to cannulate well, i cant insert catheters and get severe stress when i have to do some cutting.

I had assumed you were a US med school student. Since I'm not familiar with the european system, I'd suggest you check out the International forum for more info. If money isn't an issue to you then I guess you're free to do whatever you want.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. I know of at least two MDs who do research without a PhD. One at UAB's medical school and one at MD Anderson. Each run their own labs.