Can you guys comment on my chances please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlaMedic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-trad student 33 y/o have been a firefighter/paramedic for 6 years and critical care paremedic for the past year or so.

GPA: 3.6 non sci 3.5 overall and 3.2 science
MCAT: 9 BS, 8 PS, and 6 VR (i suck)

Have volunteered at free med clinic, Shadowed 2 DO's, Observership at DO Family Practice Residencies.

Have 6 LOR's 2 from DO's 2 from Sci Professors and 2 from MD's...all pretty glowing.

I applied to 19 schools, all Osteopathic.

Thanks for your time......

Members don't see this ad.

You have a wonderful depth of clinical experiences that will make you stand out. The GPA is good. You've done some research. Hopefully you have a leadership experience to list (can't imagine that you don't with your background). Your MCAT total of 23 is just below the mean for osteopathic school admittees. The verbal of 6 is a concern, but I have the impression DO schools are more forgiving of lower verbal scores. (Since this is the allopathic forum, I don't know to what extent.)

I think you are putting your applications in the right arena. I see you were verified by AMCAS yesterday according to your profile, but assume you mean AACOMAS (it's funny that you don't get a choice)? I'm not sure if this would be considered "late" by their standards, as I recall some DO schools have deadlines as late as April.

You might consider asking how your application will be viewed as an October submission in the pre-osteo forum thread, "What are my Chances" at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514416
Were it earlier in the cycle, I'm pretty sure you'd do well.

Last edited:
thanks mobius i appreciate the feedback....