Can you guys help me on my school list and chance me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Asian CA applicant with good numbers but fairly weak EC's.

sGPA = 3.8
cGPA = 3.8
MCAT = 34 (11PS/11VR/12BS)

120 hours clinical volunteering
100 hours non-clinical volunteering (helping a person with ALS with tasks around the house)
3 years of research, no publications
Awards: Various research grants

I understand that my clinical experience is very weak compared to others so I am particularly worried about that. I feel pretty cookie cutter since I don't really have anything that makes me unique.

What I would like comments on is...

-My chances based on my numbers and EC's
-If my list is too top heavy
-If it contains enough research oriented schools (research is the only thing I have going for me)
-If my application is too late (I should enter the verification queue by the end of the week)
-If I'm applying to too many schools
-If the schools are OOS friendly

Here is my school list:

Albany
Case Western
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
East Virginia Med
Dartmouth
George Washington
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
New York University
Ohio State University
Pennsylvania State
St. Louis University
Stanford
Temple
Tulane
UC Davis
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
Wayne State
Cornell
Wright
UC San Francisco
UC San Diego

Sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance to everyone who will help me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why not UCLA or UC Irvine?

I noticed RFU and Loyola. You could look into Northwestern, U Chicago, and Rush that are also in Chicago.

I have pretty much the same numbers and equally weak EC's as you and we pretty much have identical lists (minus the CA schools)!

So I hope it's good...:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not UCLA or UC Irvine?

I noticed RFU and Loyola. You could look into Northwestern, U Chicago, and Rush that are also in Chicago.

I didn't apply to UCLA and UCI just because of geographical preference. I've lived in the same area for my entire life I just want to move somewhere new.

I actually just added Rush to my list but I can't add the others because they seem a bit too high up and I don't think I should add even more schools.

I wouldn't say your ECs are weak at all, you seem to have a very strong research background. Sure, you don't have 999 hours working in a hospital, but you'd be surprised how few applicants do. You've probably seen and done enough in that department. List doesn't seem too top-heavy at all, I only see a couple big longshots (which I myself am also shooting for :)). Can't testify to the research focus of the individual schools though, I'm just not quite in the know.

Your application is late-ish...sort of. My advisers always say to get submitted by mid-July, but you're not that far off from that, probably not enough to merit any worry. Just get ready to burn through those secondaries. I count 27 schools there...I know all of my peers applying now are applying to that range (24-30) schools, but I'm personally of the opinion that at least one of your first 20 will give you some love! If you don't mind the cost & effort of applying to this many, 27 isn't unheard of. I would call it high though.

The schools you have (sans the UC schools) are pretty OOS friendly. Honestly, it looks like you had all the right resources when you were populating your list, and I think you inwardly know the answer to all of your questions :p. I heard OSU had a really specific human anatomy requirement, might want to look into that. Otherwise your list seems fine, if a bit long.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I think I'll just apply and try to power through secondaries until I burn out, whenever that may come. I did have a good idea of what schools to apply to but I just wanted a second opinion in case I made a horrible mistake somewhere. Gotta be sure before you drop hundreds of dollars to AMCAS! :p