Aug 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Im 15 years old, I've always wanted to be a Doctor. But I've been reading opinions about it lately,that its not worth it. That you get not much money and you study so long. Also, about lonnng hours for months

Dont get me wrong, im not in it 4 Money I've wanted to be a doctor my entire life. But I justt wanted other doctors opinions.

OP
Q
Aug 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

whats so funny fatboy lol...Ive just been reading that you work for like 11 or 12 years and barely make any money...if ima study that long there should be good benefits

devilpup

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
CA
restlessmd.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
Im 15 years old, I've always wanted to be a Doctor. But I've been reading opinions about it lately,that its not worth it.
It all depends one what it worth more to you, personally. If improving people's quality of life is more important to you than simply making bank, then the struggle is worth it.

If you want more buck for your time, there are other rewarding fields - banking, business, specialized nursing :)shifty:)...

If you want a balance between both, medicine is probably not the ideal field (much depends on the given specialty)

At your age, figuring out your top priorities and what makes you most happy is a process that takes time. I'm not a doctor just yet, but my best advice for you is to enjoy your teen years, stay curious, and don't procrastinate.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Firstly, if you want to make a lot of money, there really is no easy way. Otherwise, everyone would be loaded. The reality is that any way to get rich, other than winning the lottery, will require a lot of personal sacrifice. Secondly, I have a feeling most people that post on here about banking do not know even one person in the field. My friends in i-banking work at least as much as I do, if not more. On top of that, they have zero job security and no guarantee of success. You guys think med school admission is hard? Do you have any idea the kind of weedng out that goes on to get to the level of banking where you are rich? You are a lot more likely to be stuck at the middle-low levels for your entire career, grinding it out and making well less than most physicians.

Gibbles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Define "not much money". It all depends upon the speciality in which you choose to practice. You can make a $90,000 a year as a Pediatrician or nearly a million or more per year as an Orthopaedic Surgeon or Neurosurgeon.

It all depends upon what sort of physician you want to be and your level of talent/intelligence, how much butt you enjoy kissing, your overall personality, and your willingness to sacrifice large blocks of your life to help someone other than yourself even if it means missing your anniversary, your kids baseball game, Christmas with your family, etc.

If you can't do any of the above, then your life will be miserable both as you train and for the rest of your life as a physician.

A good rule in medicine is that you may never have the 1.3 million dollar house like the Neurosurgeon up the street, but you'll never starve or go wanting either.