Can you guys help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustintheDoctor

High functioning FeelsOpath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My little brother wants to become a doctor like me(soon) and my mom, but he has not that great of grades and I tell him to try and then he says it does not matter right now. He's in the 10th grade; so I'm wondering if you guys have anything I can say to him that might make him change his education so he actually try's

Members don't see this ad.

My little brother wants to become a doctor like me(soon) and my mom, but he has not that great of grades and I tell him to try and then he says it does not matter right now. He's in the 10th grade; so I'm wondering if you guys have anything I can say to him that might make him change his education so he actually try's

He's right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes but every time he gets his report card it's below average and that will effect him going to college will it not? I just need something to like scare him to do better

Where you go to college doesn't matter. He can go to his state school and still have no problem getting into medical school. As long as he can step it up when he gets to college (and as long as his poor performance isn't due to something other than laziness), he'll be fine.

Where you go to college doesn't matter. He can go to his state school and still have no problem getting into medical school. As long as he can step it up when he gets to college (and as long as his poor performance isn't due to something other than laziness), he'll be fine.

Ok thanks yea I pretty sure it is laziness I have never seen him do a homework lol. Ok I guess as long as he does good on the SAT he is set

It is also important what you mean by "below average grades". If he's making B's with the occasional C, it's not good, but it won't kill his chances to go to college. If it's worse than that...you really need to convince him to step it up.

Although state schools are fine, you still need to work to get into them, especially a solid public school.

He's literally a high schooler?

Tell the poor kid that while GPA matters a ton in admissions, he shouldn't panic thinking that his dream is ruined at the age of 15.

On the other hand, if he's a real screw-up, it doesn't bode well for his future success in college.

Ok thanks yea I pretty sure it is laziness I have never seen him do a homework lol. Ok I guess as long as he does good on the SAT he is set

Yeah, this is terrible.

I know so many people who were super allstars in high school. They never had to study, they could get their homework done right before class, and they could pull A's like low hanging apples from trees. Then they got to college and got destroyed, because they literally had zero idea how to study.

Honestly, one of the best lessons I ever got from high school was how to study. It helps that I'm naturally dumb, otherwise I probably would have skated until getting hammered in organic chem.

It is also important what you mean by "below average grades". If he's making B's with the occasional C, it's not good, but it won't kill his chances to go to college. If it's worse than that...you really need to convince him to step it up.

Although state schools are fine, you still need to work to get into them, especially a solid public school.

Well he gets low 70's in classes and like 90s on tests(the school does not do letter grading)

He's literally a high schooler?

Tell the poor kid that while GPA matters a ton in admissions, he shouldn't panic thinking that his dream is ruined at the age of 15.

On the other hand, if he's a real screw-up, it doesn't bode well for his future success in college.

Yeah, this is terrible.

I know so many people who were super allstars in high school. They never had to study, they could get their homework done right before class, and they could pull A's like low hanging apples from trees. Then they got to college and got destroyed, because they literally had zero idea how to study.

Honestly, one of the best lessons I ever got from high school was how to study. It helps that I'm naturally dumb, otherwise I probably would have skated until getting hammered in organic chem.
Thanks for reminding me about Ochem I completely forgot. I will tell him about the misery he will be in if he does not know how to study

OP, while we all appreciate the concern you have for him, perhaps he doesn't understand the concern, since it's coming from his family. What I would do is get a mentor outside of the family, someone he would listen to.

I don't know if 15 is too young to start, but perhaps he could shadow a FP to fire up his enthusiasm?

Thanks for reminding me about Ochem I completely forgot. I will tell him about the misery he will be in if he does not know how to study

Let your brother figure this **** out for himself. You nagging him isn't going to teach him how to study. He'll have to learn how when he needs to and has the motivation.

Worrying about how your high school study habits will fare in college ochem is ridiculous. People learn how to study for college at college.

Hopefully he hits his stride late. He's probably smarter than all of us. At times I wish I had slacked off completely in HS and just gone to a state school where I could have killed it AND had no undergrad debt.

But again, He's in 10th grade, most people don't have it figured out then and I would suggest that if he doesn't figure it out FOR HIMSELF then he will have a very hard time throughout the medical education process.

Survivor DO

I did below average in high school. Much better in college and medical school. Wait and watch.

As an undergraduate, I have often looked back on high school and laughed at how stressed I was over some of my grades at the time. In hindsight, obviously getting a B or C in classes would not have been the end of the world like I thought.

However, I don't think there is any better time to gain the tools and habits essential for high grades in college than during your time in high school (like studying skills, avoiding procrastination, etc.). Having to learn and build those habits from almost scratch your first semester in college, in my opinion, would just be added stress that could be avoided by not being lazy in high school and working on them then.

Somehow get him to realize that? Although I am doubting you will be successful.