Can you have to many lors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaserJet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 7 professors who can write (awesome) lors for me. Would 7 lors be too many? I know some schools have a 6 lor cap, is that for all schools?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, that would seem excessive. I doubt they want to read that many letters that all say the same thing. pick the 3-4 or so who you think would give the best insight into who you are

From what I've read, I've gotten the impression that having a wider range of LOR writers (IE not all professors, some from volunteer, some from employment, some from shadowing etc) is more beneficial.

It would seem logical to me that you would want to demonstrate through your LORs that you excel at many different activities and have impressed people and thus built relationships within academia as well as outside of it. Your GPA helps to demonstrate how well you were committed to your academic pursuits. LORs give you a chance to also demonstrate your commitment at work, volunteer positions etc

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
well, they are all professors...but

3 of them were my research PIs
2 of them are non-science profs(I did volunteer work with one of them)
2 are science profs

Some schools require you to have at least two science letters and then the others can be non science. I would use one non science prof then one science prof, then a prof that you did research with. It will be a wide variety and make you look balanced. But I wouldn't just do all 7. They may not read all of them.

5 seems to be the norm where I'm from: 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 research, 1 volunteer. If you're close with the letter writers you can always tell them what you want them to concentrate on.

Yes, with all the other **** they have to read reading 7 LORs would probably just piss them off.

Feel free to send extras to schools that dont have a cap.
I had 6 in total. I think.

Just dont send in useless lors as extras.
Ie. A did well in my class. He scored 80/100. He will make a good medical student.

Thats fail. lol

I have 7 professors who can write (awesome) lors for me. Would 7 lors be too many? I know some schools have a 6 lor cap, is that for all schools?

gramatically, no, you cannot have to many lors. :D

and by gosh, seven letters! i thought many schools had a 4 or 5 letter cap. do you think adcoms would like to read 7 letters saying the same things over and over?

gramatically, no, you cannot have to many lors. :D

and by gosh, seven letters! i thought many schools had a 4 or 5 letter cap. do you think adcoms would like to read 7 letters saying the same things over and over?

Iunno. My letters were gonna tell a pretty different story.
I had the 3 sciences. and then i had geog, jap, and a high school teacher.

I submitted six LORs - 3 science professors (undergrad science, grad science/shadowed him, and undergrad science/worked as a TA for 4 years under him), 2 non-science professors (undergrad language professor, and graduate non-science professor), and 1 research PI. All of these recommenders highlighted different parts of my life story and/or ECs. In the end, I know my application stood out due to the extraordinary recommendations my mentors provided. So six for me was perfect!

well, they are all professors...but

3 of them were my research PIs
2 of them are non-science profs(I did volunteer work with one of them)
2 are science profs

My suggestion.

Pick one of your reasearch PIs and ask them to write about you in general and focus on your research.

2. One of your non-science professors, I would suggest the one who you volunteered with since they may know you better (but you decide)

3/4 Both your science professors because some schools do not count letters from PIs as science letters so might as well cover your bases.

anything more than that from a proffesor is excessive. the only one more you should add would be from a doctor from the community if you can.

Seven all from Profs is way too excessive. you will be better off getting less so that the adcom doesn't get frustrated. and some schools may have a cut off for the number of letters so you wouldn't want your last letter which may be your best to be cut off

i disagree with the majority of advice in this thread. obtain as many positive LORs as you can! send your top 4 or 5 letters (even at schools without a limit) and save the rest for later. you may find yourself on a pre- or post-interview waitlist. most likely you will have written an update or two already but want to send another. having a positive LOR in your pocket gives you a little added substance - briefly re-describe the experience, your excellent relationship with the recommender and include or forward the letter. it can add a few sentences or paragraph to what would otherwise be a more meager update.

more specifically, i would absolutely get letters from every research PI (if you're interested in research-heavy programs) and/or every volunteer mentor (if you're interested in service-oriented programs). the adcoms can read them or not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt at that point in the cycle and could potentially add a new dimension to your application. at the very least it gives that school a reason to open your file one more time.