Can you have too many letter of recs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cracker69, Oct 9, 2002.

1. cracker69

cracker69 Member

I am applying to 16 schools and have teachers to fulfill the necessary requirements for letters (2 sci, 1 non sci or 3 from anyone, etc). I also have two great letters from doctors which i interned with last summer. Can i just include these doctor letters of refs along w/ the required letters at all the schools??
    help please

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kidsmd

kidsmd Senior Member

Usually, the schools have a maximum for the number of letters that you can submit. I've noticed that the max is usually 5 or 6. You should check at the schools that you're applying to. I did the same thing that you plan to do. I have a letter from my research professor and one from work where I tutored and I added those along with the required science and non-science ones. The general rule is that you can add letters but you can't substitute the letters.

4. cracker69

cracker69 Member

thanx for ur help. i think i'll just send out both the doctors refs to every school, unless there would be more than 5 total.

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree, no more than 5 or 6. The dean of admission's at VCU/MCV said ....

"You should only send us 5, or 6 at the most. After 6 letters, there is nothing a reccommender can say that is different from the other letters. We quite frankly get tired of reading about an applicant if there is more than 6."

6. doepug

doepug Senior Member

Including my dean's letter, I sent 7 letters to every school. I chose to disregard the "maximum" number of allowed recs. If you know that you're getting awesome letters, send 'em all.

Cheers,

doepug
    MS III, Johns Hopkins