can you live in phily w/o a car?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotpebbles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
specifically U. Pitt, TJ, and phila U.

anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

For Jefferson or Temple, definitely. Pittsburgh is about 5 hours away, so I wouldn't recommend living in Philly hah, and not sure about Phila U. For all of them though, not having a car will limit your fieldwork opportunities quite a bit. Public transportation in Philly is pretty good, but as soon as you get outside of the city not so much.

specifically U. Pitt, TJ, and phila U.

anyone?
again, what lsc2704 said about Pittsburgh ha, assuming you live near U Pitt campus in PITTSBURGH its doable, as is it for TJ and Temple (TJ is more accessible by transit/walking than Temple but only because its centrally located in downtwn as opposed to the North side). I didn't think about fieldwork so that is a good point. But, you probably can sign up with a car sharing company to have a car frequently for relatively cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
again, what lsc2704 said about Pittsburgh ha, assuming you live near U Pitt campus in PITTSBURGH its doable, as is it for TJ and Temple (TJ is more accessible by transit/walking than Temple but only because its centrally located in downtwn as opposed to the North side). I didn't think about fieldwork so that is a good point. But, you probably can sign up with a car sharing company to have a car frequently for relatively cheap.

oh wow~ never knew there was a car sharing company. thanx!
and yes. i guess my question wasn't clear, but i was asking if i can live w/o a car in a condition that i live very close to the following campuses: U Pitt, TJ, and phil U
i plan to study most of the time, but i do need to have some fun from time to time, and also grocery shopping regularly. :)

so, i guess i CAN live w/o a car, but just need to rent it for fieldwork?! and doesn't fieldwork start in 2nd year?

I went to undergrad at Drexel….. I was able to get around pretty easily…this was in West Philly.
USciences is close to Drexel too…. both areas you wouldn’t necessarily need a car.
(Drexel doesn’t have OT, Usciences does)

However
TJ and Temple are in close access to public transit. Temple is convenient, but it isn’t the safest area….so I wouldn’t plan on walking freely around that part of Philly. It wouldn’t be too safe. Great school, but horrible area.
Philly U is a driving area. It is in the Manayunk/Roxborough area. More suburban, but you can still get the regional rail. If you go to Philly U, you would definitely need a car or would need to do the car share.

Philly Car Share/Zip car is used a lot in philly. I haven’t used it, but a lot of my friends have.

I haven't had a car in million years.. and didn't have one my first year at PhilaU. Biggest problem was getting to fieldwork sites.
I now share a car with friend who lives and works in Center City and doesn't want to try to deal with parking it in his neighborhood when he only uses it very occasionally.

At $8/hour car sharing is not a good option, as far as I can tell. I even got a free membership from Groupon and still have never used it. Septa and the occasional cab works better for me. If you choose to live near PhilaU you will want a car.. if you choose to live someplace else getting there in the morning every other weekend is a pain. Can't win. I was lucky and was able to catch a lift the first year, but if I hadn't I would probably would have wanted a car.

I haven't had a car in million years.. and didn't have one my first year at PhilaU. Biggest problem was getting to fieldwork sites.
I now share a car with friend who lives and works in Center City and doesn't want to try to deal with parking it in his neighborhood when he only uses it very occasionally.

At $8/hour car sharing is not a good option, as far as I can tell. I even got a free membership from Groupon and still have never used it. Septa and the occasional cab works better for me. If you choose to live near PhilaU you will want a car.. if you choose to live someplace else getting there in the morning every other weekend is a pain. Can't win. I was lucky and was able to catch a lift the first year, but if I hadn't I would probably would have wanted a car.

thanx for the input affa :thumbup: