Can you match in both matches senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmmaNemma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how this works. Can a DO student apply to the osteo match for an internship PGY-1 position and to the allo match for a PGY-2 position and match in both as long as the internship is dually accredited? I am asking because I have heard in the past that matching in the DO match removes you from the allo match. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering how this works. Can a DO student apply to the osteo match for an internship PGY-1 position and to the allo match for a PGY-2 position

Yes, this is the exception.
Dual-accreditation doesn't even matter. You could match for a solely AOA-accredited PGY-1 spot and an ACGME advanced residency, but the burden is on you to ensure that the advanced residency will accept your AOA intern year. So dual-accredited is a safe way to go.

Dual-accreditation doesn't even matter. You could match for a solely AOA-accredited PGY-1 spot and an ACGME advanced residency, but the burden is on you to ensure that the advanced residency will accept your AOA intern year. So dual-accredited is a safe way to go.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a DO you can match into
(a) categorical AOA residency or categorical ACGME residency
(b) do an osteopathic traditional rotating internship (TRI) for 1 yr and then go into an ACGME advanced residency (like radiology or anesthesia, both of which often require an internship year). If you wanted to do that (because osteopathic TRI are easier to get than allopathic TRI), on ERAS you would select only TRI's for osteo match and only advanced residencies for allo match. Like previous poster said, you would have to make sure your allo program accepts osteo TRI.
-MS4

There are programs that won't even take the dual accredited programs (happened to a guy in my class) so make sure that you know if your ranked residencies will or won't. To make it easy though, apply to only categorical positions.

There are programs that won't even take the dual accredited programs (happened to a guy in my class) so make sure that you know if your ranked residencies will or won't. To make it easy though, apply to only categorical positions.

There are dually accredited internships?