Can you pay for everything using LOANS? do I need to pay anything out of pocket?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

full

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have zero family contribution and I am gonna go to USC which is like $100,000 a year for everything including room and board.

I have good credit but i just want to make sure that I am on the right page.

From my understanding you can get loans to cover everything?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can pay it all with loans - living expenses will be listed in the amount they tell you to take out. I had to take out about 80k for Pitt this year, fun fun, haha.

How much is the maximum loan amount? Can we take a loan over $100k/year?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably keep in mind that schools may make you pay for tool rentals and books out of pocket the first week of school before you get loan disbursements. These costs can go up to a grand or two.

I have zero family contribution and I am gonna go to USC which is like $100,000 a year for everything including room and board.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's really daunting.. :oops: But, can't wait to meet you and the rest of our classmates in the fall!

Well then I guess I won't be getting tools...I will just be getting tooled :)

You should probably keep in mind that schools may make you pay for tool rentals and books out of pocket the first week of school before you get loan disbursements. These costs can go up to a grand or two.

Many of my classmates including myself finance our education 100% though federal loans. We get enough each semester to pay for everything. So don't worry about not purchasing all the equipment you'll need, or having to eat ramen every night.

The only thing that I needed up front cash for is
1) deposit for the school- loans reimbursed that later- 1 month after school starting
2) Funds to move to the city.
3) We received our financial aid one month after school started. So, the first months of rent and deposit were out of pocket. But that money came in later.

So there is some financial planning needed due to the time of distribution of loans

I got my financial aid packet back and they are asking that my parents pay like $14000 a year. Uhhh I'm trying to be financially independent and they will NOT be paying for my dental school! Is it fairly easy to get private loans??

:scared:

I got my financial aid packet back and they are asking that my parents pay like $14000 a year.

Say wut? that makes no sense. I thought grad students were automatically considered independents (I don't even know why they ask for your parents' info on the FAFSA).

Say wut? that makes no sense. I thought grad students were automatically considered independents (I don't even know why they ask for your parents' info on the FAFSA).

health professional students still have to provide them. legal requirement.

I got my financial aid packet back and they are asking that my parents pay like $14000 a year. Uhhh I'm trying to be financially independent and they will NOT be paying for my dental school! Is it fairly easy to get private loans??

weeeird. i guess i cant wait to get mine. =\ eeks.

yes of course, most people who go into those expensive professional schools (dentistry, medicine, vetre, pharmacy, etc) don't have rich folks paying for them..... and from what I underestand, for most of us, we woun't even need a co-signer

weeeird. i guess i cant wait to get mine. =\ eeks.

i haven't got mine in the mail yet, but if you registered your PennId or whatever its called, you may be able to check the award status online.

https://medley.isc-seo.upenn.edu/pennInTouch/jsp/fast2.do

just log in and check out the financial aid tab. i have about 7000 family contribution...i was gonna ask my parents for about 10g a year anyways so that works out :thumbup:

i haven't got mine in the mail yet, but if you registered your PennId or whatever its called, you may be able to check the award status online.

https://medley.isc-seo.upenn.edu/pennInTouch/jsp/fast2.do

just log in and check out the financial aid tab. i have about 7000 family contribution...i was gonna ask my parents for about 10g a year anyways so that works out :thumbup:

thanks for the heads up on the website. yeah i checked it and the parental contribution is at 14g... thats crazy! but i guess thats where the private loans come in... i am checking the pdf that upenn mentioned in their letter (http://www.sfs.upenn.edu/pdf/2010-2011/Info-Healthprofessions-10-11.pdf) so that i can understand what each loan is about... yiiikes. :) good to know i have company in this craziness.