General Admissions & OTCAS Can you pick your prerequisites on OTCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot-4-me

Reaction score
Hello all,
I was wondering if there is an option on OTCAS to select your courses for your prereqs? As most schools require 2-3 humanities courses, for example, could I deliberately pick specific courses that i've taken throughout college/post bacc that meet the prerequisites? Meaning that the humanities prereqs are not fulfilled by the most recent course(s) taken?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I was wondering if there is an option on OTCAS to select your courses for your prereqs? As most schools require 2-3 humanities courses, for example, could I deliberately pick specific courses that i've taken throughout college/post bacc that meet the prerequisites? Meaning that the humanities prereqs are not fulfilled by the most recent course(s) taken?

I’m not sure I quite understand your question but let me try.

You have to upload all of the courses you have taken because they are all listed on your transcript.

If a school asks you to select 3 humanities courses and you took 5, you could pick your best 3 to use unless they ask for a certain class (i.e. sociology, ethics, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
Piggybacking off the first person, when you add the schools you want to apply to they will each have their own section of the application. Once you click on it, there should be a tab for prerequisite and you can choose what course you’d like to use to fulfill it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
Hope this adds to the answers...

You "choose" or select which pre-reqs to classify under each requirement for programs, however you should ensure the program you are applying to will actually accept it. Email program coordinators if you need to! Obtain old course syllabi if you feel a course you took could serve as a prereq. If you've taken multiple classes that could fit the humanities/social science requirement, choose the course that you got the best grade in and the one you feel is most relevant to OT.

When I applied, some schools were particular in what they accepted under the "humanities" and "social science" umbrellas...for example USC would not accept an intro level sociology class I took during my undergrad called "Sociology of deviance" - they wanted a more broadly focused intro to sociology or intro to anthropology course.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for thoroughly answering my question!

Reactions: 1 user