Can you PLEASE tell me my chances for acceptances to ANY DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeyLu2010

UT Longhorns Alumni
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got my scores back too and i am very bummed..i am hoping for AZCOM UNECOM ...but now im hoping for ANY school to take me...

stats: 3.25 cum roughly same sci GPA
MCAT: 24 (8,8,8)

very good LOR, gone on rounds at hospital, shadow DO at family clinic, 1 publication (not first author), 2 and a half years research on antimicrobials, a little volunteering, no officer positions but members of several clubs, go to UT-austin(texas)

working on Personal statement..

i think i can get into somewhere..but prolly not AZCOM or UNECOM =(

main criteria for me in choosing schools used to be: location, weather, match list

criteria now: if they are willing to accept. hehe

MS-I or IIs preferably, due to increase in avg acceptance stats in recent years

Thank you for your time everybody,

btw, this is my first post on a thread, please be gentle

Members don't see this ad.

Mikey-
Have you considered a post-bac?
Given your gpa and mcat you may well be able to get into a DO school. The real question is- Should you attend school right now?

2 suggestions:
Throw the wide net (apply everywhere) and see what happens. If you are accepted then you can struggle to stay w/ the class and try to learn how to study/make the score you will need to be part of that great match list. From personal experience, I can tell ya that is not the way to start med school.
or
You could attend the UVM post-bac program. You would have a monster leg up on the pile, a quasi-guaranteed slot at UNECOM, and the confidence you will need to be the star you would like to be.

Getting in isn't everything. Those cut-offs at some schools are there for a reason. The right motive, spirit, desire is unfortunately not enough. You must have the tools to gain success.

(this advice is worth exactly as much as you paid)
Good luck.

PCSOM is a good school. I think you would have a good chance of earning a spot. My advice is apply early because it is rolling admissions.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Members don't see this ad :)
People get in with worse stats than yours. Plus, your ECs seem solid. I say apply to several schools and see what happens.

mikeypo0 said:
i got my scores back too and i am very bummed..i am hoping for AZCOM UNECOM ...but now im hoping for ANY school to take me...

very good LOR, gone on rounds at hospital, shadow DO at family clinic, 1 publication (not first author), 2 and a half years research on antimicrobials, a little volunteering, no officer positions but members of several clubs, go to UT-austin(texas)

main criteria for me in choosing schools used to be: location, weather, match list

You can and certainly will get in somewhere - and I wouldn't discount UNECOM and AZCOM. The key is to apply early! My stats were only a notch above yours, and I had 2 summers of research, a leadership position in an organization at my undergrad, and good LORs - here's my story.

I decided to apply to DO schools in late August of last year; it had never occurred to me before then because I just wasn't very well informed! I wish I had applied earlier - by the time I sent in my secondaries (around November), some of the classes were already filling up. Luckily, I still got interviews (UNECOM, NYCOM, LECOM, and PCOM) and got placed on waitlists at UNECOM and PCOM and got into NYCOM (turned down the LECOM interview after getting into NYCOM). I turned down the UNECOM waitlist because my significant other got into UPenn for grad school, so I decided to pursue PCOM more aggressively and ended up getting in off the alternate list in mid-May. I have an SDN friend who got in off UNECOM's waitlist by telling them how much she loved the school, etc. So really, don't sweat it at this point. Go fill out your AACOMAS and get it turned in!

Mikey,

AZCOM and UNECOM were on the top of my list when I was applying as well. After interviewing at about a half a dozen schools AZCOM and UNECOM were still at the top of my list. Both institutions seemed unparalleled in terms of what I was looking for. I think that your stats could very well land you an interview at these schools but I would apply to nearly every school that you would at least consider and then after the acceptance you could make your decision. Apply early because last year AZCOM only set aside three windows of time in the fall and early winter for interviews and the interview slots filled up quick. I would imagine that this next year will be quite a bit more competitive due to the fact that AZCOM MSIII's and MSIV's will now potentially have access to many of the UofA "affiliated" teaching hospitals here in the valley. Good luck.

I helped interview prospective students at DMU this year (as an MSII) and I can tell you we looked more at the interview than anything else. Yes the grades/MCAT score and etc had to at least average, but like most people will tell you there will be people who can memorize the crap out of book and still be a ****ty doctor. Apply and see where it gets you, if you don't end up where you want you can always try the MCAT again, or follow some of the others suggestions above which were excellent. Good luck.

thank you everyone for your thoughtful suggestions..more thoughts/feelings are welcome..and i will try my hardest to send in everything on time..thank you all

As for the post-bacc my low gpa is because i messed up freshman and sophomore year..out of a combination of immaturity, death of family, lack of will, etc. However i have brought up my gpa from a 2.7 to a 3.2 in 2 yrs...i know its still low..but as you all know very well its hard to dig out of a deep hole especially when it comes to GPA. My major is biochemistry, which i know UNECOM favors, but what i am also worried about is that from the UNECOM website i saw that they accept 40% from the new england area and another 30% from the northeast (NY,etc), that means i only have 30% chance out of everyone else. this troubles me, but i still have to face reality and deal with it, I am from houston, tx and i hope other schools dont discriminate based on location, especially if they are going to charge the same for out of state students as they do in-state

mikeypo0 said:

Agree with posters stating apply. If seriously interested in UNECOM be advised that they are on a rolling admission basis, therefore apply EARLY.

Wook

I'd advise setting up a visit to UNECOM and getting to know the people in the admissions staff, I think they really base a lot of their decision on getting to know you, and often times interviews just aren't enough time for that. Your stats are borderline, and retaking the MCAT will certainly help you, if you want to wait another year. And yes, definitely apply as early as possible.

It's not the end of the world, you may actually have a chance at AZCOM. You just need to interview early, that would be your best bet. Being that I have participated on the interview panel there, I would say that AZCOM is definately looking for an applicant who is mature and shows some well-rounded qualities. Grades aren't everything. If you can demonstrate that in the interview, you may have a chance. My MCAT scores were not fantastic, but my application probably stood out in other ways, like the fact that I was a social worker for 2 years after college. There's still hope! PM me for other questions you might have.