CAN YOU RECOMMEND BOOKS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY ALL,
i need some advise on what books to sudy for USMLE STEP 1 for physiology and pathology...i need something that covers all the topics highlighting relevant facts and yet is conscise...and i dont mean review books..something like Microbiology made ridiculously simple maybe? please help....i can't figure out which books i need... :confused:

also are the pictures on the WEB PATH website the same as the ones on the CD they sell for $60 or does the CD have more slides/pictures?

thanks for taking time to help me,Arie

Members don't see this ad.

First Aid for Step 1, Goljan's Pathology Review, Kaplan books, Kaplan Q-bank, WebPath mcqs. Good luck.

Although you said no review books, nearly everyone used the BRS path and physiology when I was studying for step I. Good luck.

The best physio book is definately "stars physio" by Costanza. The same person wrote the brs which is very good for step one. Goljan Pathology is good but I think that the Kaplan book with the Pathology section is the best to use for step one. I'm sure that you could get it off ebay pretty cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a lot for all the info . i have decided on
firts aid,brs-path & starts physio by costanzo,ridic. simple for micro,high yeild for -anat,neuro-anat,embryo, lippincott's for biochem and pharm...also K notes[live lecture series] ,web path.
tell me if i missed out anything...
thanks, Arie

Don't study embryo thats not in first aid. I only had a couple of embryo questions and one of my friends didn't have any. Don't waste time learning a ton of embryo when you will have a maximum of three or four questions.

Robbin's pathology review questions were really good. Plus, they had a lot of pictures in them too. Step Up was great along with the bible which is First Aid. Practice questions are definitely the way to go after you're done studying. Do as many as possible because sometimes even if you know a topic it can be difficult to transfer that knowlege in answering questions because of the wording or that little detail you though wasn't important but was the answer choice.