Can you send in secondaries before AMCAS is verified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaldobruin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my personal statement has taken longer than I thought it would, so I want to submit AMCAS this week. But I have taken a look at some of the secondary questions that you guys were nice enough to post, and in fact I've started working on them. Can I submit AMCAS then send in secondaries and LOR's before I'm verified? What are your experiences with this? I understand the importance of applying early and I want to get my secondaries in ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in this as well.

I was also wondering this. I'm going to go ahead and submit them. I submitted my AMCAS almost two weeks ago and have gotten secondary invites, so I'm assuming that means these schools have already opened a file for me (Columbia, GWU, etc.). I would think even if they haven't, at most you'd just have to send it in again?

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know - it sounds kinda risky, since a lot of schools might not be able to identify you. I would submit to those that have invited, but hold off on the rest...

Some schools allow this (such as Yale), but I believe some others would prefer you to wait (such as AECOM). Columbia requires your AMCAS BCPM and AO GPAs, so you have to wait for verification. I think the safest strategy would be to call each school and ask for its preference.

you'll likely hear from some schools that'll actually send you the secondary invites before your AMCAS is verified. in those cases it's ok to send them your finished secondaries, but i wouldn't jump the gun and send it to them before the secondary invite. like as06 said, best way to find out is to call or e-mail the admissions offices

Well, presumably we wouldn't have links to the ones that haven't invited us yet, right? The only schools I can think of that don't fit this are WashU and Yale (that I'm applying to anyway). I went ahead and submitted for WashU, and I'm not worried since all of it's online. I was going to mail my GWU app tomorrow, but now I'm not so sure... The schools obviously know you're applying since they invited you, but since it's paper and all...?

chaldobruin said:
Hey guys, my personal statement has taken longer than I thought it would, so I want to submit AMCAS this week. But I have taken a look at some of the secondary questions that you guys were nice enough to post, and in fact I've started working on them. Can I submit AMCAS then send in secondaries and LOR's before I'm verified? What are your experiences with this? I understand the importance of applying early and I want to get my secondaries in ASAP.

Why not just complete all the secondaries you want on your computer and save them and that way when you're invited to submit them, they can be sent out immediately. Your file isn't going to be complete until your verified AMCAS is received by the schools, even if you do complete the secondaries, so you might wanna get that submitted first. Then I'd say start some secondaries you want to have in earliest while you're waiting for verification. You'll most likely get some invites right after submitting (but before verification) anyways, so you'll have something to do...

Sounds to me like you need to relax and wait until the day you are verified to send it out... Just have it ready to send when the time comes.

Not to mention some secondaries ask for your courses and grades in pre-reqs. You want to match your AMCAS grades exactly... And you have to wait for that.