1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Can you someone please help me with OCHEM??? PLEASEEEEEEE

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by DDSguyLA, Jun 2, 2008.

1. DDSguyLA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok, here's the deal...
    I'm doing fairly okay in almost all sections (I have a month left for the real thing) except for the OCHEM section...
    I just don't get it...
    What is the BEST way to study for OCHEM??
    Learn it, memorize reactions, is it mosly conceptual on the real thing???
    Why the hell is the Destroyer so brutal when it comes to OChem?? or is it just me?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH OCHEM... I really need it.

Thank you

2. Ghettob1aster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Learn the basics. Review a few items then try destroyer. I would have at least read up on these if you do not remember them:

stereoisomers (chirality, enantiomer properties, diastereomer properties, the meso rule)
    carbocation stability (inductive effects, hyperconjugation, RESONANCE)
    kinetic/thermodynamic control
    SN1, SN2, E1, E2, nucleophilic addition/substitution (most reactions use a form of these)

Don't bother memorizing any more reactions than those from the start. You can stare at his road maps or your ochem book all day and not get anywhere. You should start the problems when you know the above stuff.

If you get a problem wrong, read the solution, look up the mech in your ochem book. Write it out a few times with electron movement. You will have a much harder time forgetting it. The more important thing that this does is that it builds your conceptual understanding instead of having to memorize the 100+ reactions. I think it's a much faster way to learn it.

Electrophilic addition (ring activating/deactivating) is also an easy topic to make a few questions for, but there is one question in destroyer that lays that out with some easy to remember rules. So I would wait to study that until you come across it.

3. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student