This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pretty.Odd.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I really love animals and I want to be a vet, but I'm really squeamish, like I had to leave the room during a heart dissection in class. Do you guys think that is something I can get over?? If so how?? Any advice is much appreciated!!! (BTW I'm currently in sophomore year of high school)

Members don't see this ad.

So I really love animals and I want to be a vet, but I'm really squeamish, like I had to leave the room during a heart dissection in class. Do you guys think that is something I can get over?? If so how?? Any advice is much appreciated!!! (BTW I'm currently in sophomore year of high school)
Hello there and welcome to SDN! This topic has been talked about quite a bit- If you go to the upper right corner of the screen when you are on the pre-vet forum, you can search for threads similar to your question!

Here's a few previous ones on squeamishness:
Reconsidering... advice please??
What do you find gross?
Squeamish but accepted into vet school!
How to get over squeamishness

In general: Lots of people in vet med are grossed out by something and generally multiple exposures help and/or it gets better with time.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, don't worry about it. You'll get over it with more exposure.

I got so lightheaded the first time I watched surgery that I had to leave the OR and go sit down. Now I'm in vet school and want to pursue a surgery residency.