Can you still get pharmacy intern hours after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjaf05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most pharmacy students a few months after their graduation have completed intern hours for their state and take NAPLEX/state's MPJE. My question is is it possible for someone who's short on intern hours after graduation to still obtain some intern hours? I would like to be licensed in California (CA) but just found out my pharmacy school in Pennsylvania (PA) will only transfer 750 school rotation hours to CA. I have a pharmacy intern license in CA and have been doing some hours for CA's 1500 hour requirement. Say by time I graduate from pharmacy school in PA, I'm still 200 hours short of getting CA's 1500 hour requirement for NAPLEX/CPJE. Would I still be able to do intern hours somewhere in CA after graduation? I ask because I don't know of people that still need intern hours after they graduate, I may still be a little short on hours after graduation. Please don't judge

Members don't see this ad.

once you complete school, you are promoted to "pharmacy graduate intern," which doesn't really differ from a regular intern, except for pay. typically you make 50-75% pharmacists salary until you become licensed. as long as you have a CA intern license, you can work in CA and complete your hour requirements.

Can you apply to be CA intern without being hired by CA pharmacy?

you don't need to have a job to get a CA intern license. you could get a CA intern license with absolutely no intention of ever stepping foot into CA.

I know most pharmacy students a few months after their graduation have completed intern hours for their state and take NAPLEX/state's MPJE. My question is is it possible for someone who's short on intern hours after graduation to still obtain some intern hours? I would like to be licensed in California (CA) but just found out my pharmacy school in Pennsylvania (PA) will only transfer 750 school rotation hours to CA. I have a pharmacy intern license in CA and have been doing some hours for CA's 1500 hour requirement. Say by time I graduate from pharmacy school in PA, I'm still 200 hours short of getting CA's 1500 hour requirement for NAPLEX/CPJE. Would I still be able to do intern hours somewhere in CA after graduation? I ask because I don't know of people that still need intern hours after they graduate, I may still be a little short on hours after graduation. Please don't judge

That's why you don't let the school transfer your hours. You do it yourself with the Intern Hours Affidavit form. The school will have nothing to do with that form.

Let's say you have 7 rotations 240 hours each rotation. Have 7 preceptors sign the form for 240 hours = 1680 hours

Members don't see this ad :)
That's why you don't let the school transfer your hours. You do it yourself with the Intern Hours Affidavit form. The school will have nothing to do with that form.

Let's say you have 7 rotations 240 hours each rotation. Have 7 preceptors sign the form for 240 hours = 1680 hours

ya, i already suggested that in another of OPs threads.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1031116

thanks for answer my question. But now I have a new one, hopefully someone can answer my question ^^. So I'm currently studying in different state but I'm a CA resident. If I want to apply to be a CA intern, what should I do about fingerprint process since I am not in Ca right at the moment, and I definitely wouldn't want to wait until winter break to get back in Ca. Any advise?