Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Can you take Gen Chem online?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dnickers, Apr 21, 2004.

1. dnickers

dnickers Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi, everyone. I somehow missed taking a second semester of General Chemistry. Now I've finished a finished a Post Bac, taken the MCAT and have all my ducks in a row to apply next year-- except that I need another semester of inorganic chem. I'm trying to get it done as quickly as possible because I'm applying next year. My problem is that I live in a rural area at that's at least five hours driving from the nearest place I could take a summer Gen Chem class.

Has anyone taken General Chemistry ONLINE or has anyone heard of someone doing that? How did it work out? As much as I'm hoping not to have to pack up and move somewhere just to take a class this summer, I really don't want to take an online class just to have Med Schools tell me that it doesn't count.

I've seen that Weber State University has an online class with a lab and everything. Anyone else have suggestions? Thanks a lot!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spartacus

Spartacus X & Y
    7+ Year Member

i took environmental chemistry online at my undergrad school and it was treated exactly the same as any other class, just do well in it. if you're really concerned, maybe call a couple schools and ask them specifically, but i'm pretty sure you should be fine!

4. rambo

rambo Slightly Evil
    7+ Year Member

That's interesting. Does it show up as an online course on your transcript?

5. southbelle

southbelle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How would med schools even know that you are the one taking the tests?

If it's just one class, it might not kill you. It certainly isn't a good thing though. More than one online core science class would be completely out of the question though

6. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

theres no way they could tell it was online unless you tell them

7. wickliffe2

5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I took general chem online at NC State University this past fall. The only drawbacks were that we had to go to the campus for tests and lab. Other than that, it was great!

8. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, you gotta have the Lab credit. That is the only issue.

9. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I sooooooooooooooooooo wish I could have taken gen chem form my home computer......

Now class, please take your home chemistry set and start mixing reagents A and B. Remember now to calulate the correct moles of material for each with the balanced equation on page 4 of your online manuel.....

10. dnickers

dnickers Member
    5+ Year Member

The way I see it, I'm already prepared in Gen Chem. I've studied up on it and taken the MCAT (which I hope will show I know my stuff). The lab in the online course I've seen obviously isn't much like what you would have in a lecture class. You use something that's on a CD. I'm just looking for a quick way to prove I know my Gen Chem.

Do you think I can get away with it if I find a school that doesn't differentiate between online and normal classes on its transcripts?