Can you take the EPPP as a pre-doctorate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sagepsych

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I received an APPIC Intern Network e-mail yesterday from a woman who stated she was able to take the EPPP as a master's level clinician in a specific state and then pay a transfer fee. Anyone heard of this?

QUOTE FROM E-MAIL: You cannot register to take the EPPP in a straightforward manner. Rather, you must apply for masters-level licensure in a specific state (not necessarily the state of your residence), be granted approval to sit for the EPPP (from a computer testing center anywhere), and then schedule the exam within 60 days of your approval. It takes a bit of research to determine which states in which you are eligible to apply for licensure, plus there is some paperwork involved (some states require forms from your school and supervisors, others even require letters of recommendation and separate state jurisprudence exams). If you want this is to appear on your application, you must allow time to study for the test, gather materials for licensure, apply for licensure, wait for approval to sit, and several weeks to receive your scores. If you fail the exam, you have to wait a few months to retake it. Costs accumulate quickly – a license application fee, a
computer testing fee, an EPPP fee, a comprehensive study package, and (if all goes well) another actual licensing fee.

Members don't see this ad.

As noted, it is a fairly elaborate process but it can be done in some states that use the EPPP scores to regulate licensure at the master's level. Washington state used to be one place and I know there are others. You need to look at licensure regs by state to learn the specifics--but probably can get the list of states from the EPPP organization, which is think is ASPPB.

Yes.

Certain states, though some of them make it easier than others. Kansas allows licensure at the MS level (limited license), and if your score is high enough you can re-submit for your doctoral license. Like docma said, I believe Washington allows it too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking from personal experience, North Carolina uses the EPPP as part of their licensure process for master's level clinicians. My score was high enough that I will not have to retake it when I finish my doctoral degree; most states that do this will have different cut off scores for "passing" for master's level and doctoral level practitioners.

Speaking from personal experience, North Carolina uses the EPPP as part of their licensure process for master's level clinicians. My score was high enough that I will not have to retake it when I finish my doctoral degree; most states that do this will have different cut off scores for "passing" for master's level and doctoral level practitioners.

I am thinking that I want to do this next year and just get this sucker out of the way!

Mark

I am thinking that I want to do this next year and just get this sucker out of the way!

Mark

Is it as "scary" as people say it is? I did ok on my GRE subject (I know, I know not the same). I read somewhere that you can take a 'practice test' at a center. Is that true?

I read somewhere that you can take a 'practice test' at a center. Is that true?
Yup. There's a 100-question practice exam that you can take, either at a testing center or on-line.

There's a lot of good info about the EPPP here:

http://www.asppb.net/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3490

The "Information for Candidates Brochure" tells you almost everything you'd want to know about the exam; the "Practice Exam Application for Candidates" describes the two practice exam options.

Last edited:
This is an ongoing argument; some of us will say that the test is easy, others think it's hell. Personally I thought the actual test was far easier than the study materials...

So is it a good idea to take the practice test before to get a sense of the type of questions? Has anyone taken it?

This is an ongoing argument; some of us will say that the test is easy, others think it's hell. Personally I thought the actual test was far easier than the study materials...

Me too. I am also a good test-taker, so both the EPPP and my state licensure exams were really easy for me and I got them done really fast (2 hours for EPPP, 1 for state exam)

I know this is quite an old post, but does anyone know if this is still true for any states in 2014?

I know this is quite an old post, but does anyone know if this is still true for any states in 2014?

I know one person who took the EPPP during their internship year, so their degree had not yet been conferred. They are going to get licensed in a state that did not require a postdoc.

Texas also allows master's level students to take the EPPP to obtain an LPA. I took it during my fourth year and was able to pass at the doctoral level so I fortunately will not have to take it again after I finish my internship. (I will just need to complete any ethics and oral exams required by the state I will be working in.)

Took it in Kansas last year for the masters license. never have to take it again as I scored at 75%

Can you post the link ***? I actually want to get licensed in Texas.nvm found it!

Has anyone taken the EPPP test through the State of Kentucky as a LPA? I just got the approval to sit for the exam - but I will not be completing supervised hours there, does that matter?

Thanks in Advance!