Can you teach for both TPR and Kaplan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPersistent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is teaching for both companies possible? Ill be teaching biology for Kaplan, can I do the same for TPR?

Members don't see this ad.

gujuDoc said:
No because it would cause a major conflict of interest!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure their contracts with you wouldn't allow you to do such a thing.

Also, you have to realize both courses take a different approach to teaching so it would get really confusing.

Kaplan teaches more strategy, while TPR is more for people needing details and reteaching the material you learnd in school and then doing some passages.

So it could get confusing. But I'd recommend that if you want more money, you try to teach through the Kaplan private tutor program too. Those students pay more money per hour, so the teachers I'm sure might make more money too.

Hmm...for me, Biology is realllly easy to teach, I have a masters in Physio, so I can just go on and on with bio, It be interesting to see if I could teach with both :)

Who is teaching who? I want to take the classes for April. I hope I have better teachers. :scared:

gujuDoc said:
Yes, but at these sort of courses, they expect you to teach a certain way, in the way they teach the material.

Also, there are huge conflicts of interest. I remember my verbal teacher not being allowed to teach at another company.
I think these companies have teaching contracts or something like that with those students what do you think? After all, they want to make some money at the end overall, not give all the money to the teachers. Well, would you like to share how the classes’ condition was for you? What kind of teaching methods the professor used?

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
Yes, but at these sort of courses, they expect you to teach a certain way, in the way they teach the material.

Also, there are huge conflicts of interest. I remember my verbal teacher not being allowed to teach at another company.

I agree, there most likely is a clause that wouldnt let me teach for both. The reason I picked Kaplan in because I want to get a discount on USMLE stuff for when I start med school whether it be here or carribean hehe.

I actually took TPR, and think I would have enjoyed Kaplan more because of the amount of practice materials....

thanks guju..my fellow desi

You have to sign a non-compete; not only can you not work for both simultaneously, you cannot switch from one to the other within a certain time period (that I can't remember).

You cannot teach for a competitor within at least 1 year of teaching for a company. This is a standard non-compete clause.

Also, as others discussed, it is very difficult to simultaneously teach more than one curriculum and act as an enthusiastic advocate for each method, which is what you are supposed to do.

Is it more difficult to get a job as a private tutor than as a class instructor?

I'm not the best orator and I think I'd be better off tutoring in a 1-on-1 situation.

Also, do people do private tutoring for 1 section or are private tutors assumed to teach everything??? I think I'd only be able to tutor Biology (13) but certainly not Verbal (8!!). :laugh:

Thanks for the input guys:) I decided to work for Kaplan, I think the benefis in the long-run (USMLE stuff) was the deciding factor for me:) Thanks again!

DrPersistent said:
Thanks for the input guys:) I decided to work for Kaplan, I think the benefis in the long-run (USMLE stuff) was the deciding factor for me:) Thanks again!

A friend of mine works for TPR and Kaplan both. He tood Mcat in August 04 and did excellent. He applied for job at TPR and Kaplan and they both gave him job. He said that Kaplan has the best strategy and Princeton does not have any. He said that TPR only concentrates on detail. One time he told his TPR manager that he works for Kaplan too, and TPR manager told him that if you want to continue working at both places, do not mention this again. So it is possible to work for both.

Doc2007 said:
A friend of mine works for TPR and Kaplan both. He tood Mcat in August 04 and did excellent. He applied for job at TPR and Kaplan and they both gave him job. He said that Kaplan has the best strategy and Princeton does not have any. He said that TPR only concentrates on detail. One time he told his TPR manager that he works for Kaplan too, and TPR manager told him that if you want to continue working at both places, do not mention this again. So it is possible to work for both.

I can tell you from personal experience that if they even THINK you are violating the non-compete clause, they will come down on you very hard, at a national level. You will start getting letters from New York threatening you with all kinds of stuff that is going to look really bad on your med school app. It is absolutely not worth it.

DrPersistent said:

Why does Kaplan have better USMLE stuff?? Could someone elaborate on this?

Question for anyone who has taught for Kaplan. I have my audition/interview in a couple weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any info on what that was like. What did you teach for your audition? Do they accept you on the spot? Is it easier becoming a tutor or classroom teacher? BTW, I applied for both DAT and MCAT, could I teach both? I hope I teach the DAT its soooooo much easier.

gujuDoc said:
Yeah, I've heard Kaplan's USMLE material is kick a$$ from some med students a few years back. So that's probably a better deal.

They don't kick a$$... they are mediocre at best

The best study tools in general are individualized books for each section that are outlined at the end of First Aid for the USMLE.

ie: BRS Pathology, Micro made Ridiculously Simple, High Yield Neuroanatomy... etc etc....

Kaplan Qbank is also mediocre b/c it doesn't have ?'s that are similar to the real exam.

-plastix

After reading all the crap I had to sign there is no way I would attempt to work for both. As someone previously said, they will come down hard on you at all levels. So Im just sticking with Kaplan...

As for the USMLE stuff...I heard it was really good in addition to First Aid and the BRS etc...I guess it works for some people and not others...

I have a feeling that I might end up at SGU b/c of my verbal score. I think that if im a foriegn grad that I would be better off having some of kaplans resources since they break it down pretty well....:)

SearsTower said:
Dude, who cares about conflicting interest, just do whatever for cash.

Its not about the conflicting interest..I signed a waiver (a no-compete clause)---so I dont wanna get sued lol

DrPersistent said:
The reason I picked Kaplan in because I want to get a discount on USMLE stuff for when I start med school whether it be here or carribean hehe.

How much of a discount does Kaplan offer, and how recent must your teaching experience be to get it? That just might be an additional incentive =)

I teach for TPR and they have a statement regarding conflicts of interest if you are working for a competitor. basically, u cant work for both...but u can if they dont find out :D

Dr^2 said:
How much of a discount does Kaplan offer, and how recent must your teaching experience be to get it? That just might be an additional incentive =)

Does TPR have USMLE material or no??