can you voluntarily do a GMO for 1 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to apply for a GMO tour for 1 year if you are not a student at USUHS or an HPSP student? I'm a second year med student and a 1LT in the army reserves (Medical Service Corps). I was hoping to switch over to the Medical Corps after graduation and make a little money and get some experience before starting a long civilian residency.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to finish internship before you can be a GMO. Otherwise, you probably just have to ask the detailer (that's how it would be in the Navy).

The minimum tour length would be 2 years, but you would be a recruiter's dream since you cost the Navy nothing. I knew one person who came to my DMO class after being a practicing FP for a few years just because it seemed like a good thing to do for a couple of years. No problem, they got him a spot in the class. You would need to finish internship first, though.
DD

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, there are a few 1 year tours. I think they are all unaccompanied green-side tours. I'm pretty sure that the least amount of time you can spend on active duty is 3 years, regardless of how one becomes commissioned.

Thanks for your responses.

I have one more question. If you do your residency through the military, how much time do you owe after you complete your residency?

depends. if you do HPSP, you'll owe the # of years of your scholarship after residency, unless your residency was longer (ie- if you get a 4 year scholarship and a 5 year residency, you'll owe 5 years after you finish residency)...if you do USUHS, you'll owe 7 years after residency. there's also a couple years in the inactive ready reserve or something.

i'm pretty sure those #'s are correct, but someone who's actually currently in the program can correct me.

Originally posted by brats800
depends. if you do HPSP, you'll owe the # of years of your scholarship after residency, unless your residency was longer (ie- if you get a 4 year scholarship and a 5 year residency, you'll owe 5 years after you finish residency)...if you do USUHS, you'll owe 7 years after residency. there's also a couple years in the inactive ready reserve or something.

i'm pretty sure those #'s are correct, but someone who's actually currently in the program can correct me.

I'm neither doing HPSP nor am I a student at USUHS. I already have a full scholarship at the school I'm attending so I have no need to apply for HPSP. However, I would like to do a military residency. Since I owe nothing technically right now, will I not owe anything after residency or will they place me in the same boat as the HPSP students, owing a year for each year of residency?

i think the minimum time on duty is 3 years, regardless of what you owe...you might be able to swing the Health Professions Loan Repayment Program or something....where they pay you better based on your situation....anyone else know?