Can you wear dress shoes without laces to an interview?

Jan 29, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I have my first interview next week and was wondering if I could wear dress shoes like this:

Or if I should go buy new shoes with laces.

Reactions: whatsupdr
Oct 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
That's literally the pair I wore to my interview. IMO you don't even really notice since your pants cover that part of your shoe as well. I don't think it really matters.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I have never looked that closely at an applicant's shoes. As an interviewer, it would not matter to me at all.

Reactions: Goro

LizzyM

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Personally I'm a big fan of the "no break" look for pants.
Should this be a factor adcoms use in deciding to offer admission?
Should matters of taste matter in med admissions?

LizzyM

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Appearance matters, whether we like it or not.
Yes, appearance matters and research shows that homely people and fat people are discriminated against and people who poorly groomed are discriminated against and people who wear clothing that is in disrepair may be discriminated against but do matters of taste such as tie shoes vs slip-ons or a striped tie vs a solid really matter? I would say no.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I would actually suggest that applicants wear shoes without laces as if the interview goes bad, you cant hang yourself

All joking aside, as long as you look neat, professional, you will be fine. I will pass on from a long time female admissions director that she notices if your fly is open and if you have blue socks instead of black. Both of these situations apparently come up each interview day at least once.

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2016
Ice Coast
Should this be a factor adcoms use in deciding to offer admission?
Should matters of taste matter in med admissions?
Oh no, I wasn't saying it should be. Appearances matter, of course, but pant break preferences definitely shouldn't matter as long as the applicant looks presentable and professional.

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
I have my first interview next week and was wondering if I could wear dress shoes like this:

What are those? :p

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
My school does group interviews. I never see shoes. You could come in barefoot and I wouldn't notice. The wily old Admissions dean would, though.
It's a nice shoe. Go for it.

username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
The shoes are ugly and should definitely not be worn with a suit, but plenty of people do it since they don't know any better and no one says a word.

LizzyM

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
The shoes are ugly and should definitely not be worn with a suit, but plenty of people do it since they don't know any better and no one says a word.
Do you think medical student applicants should be admitted, or not, based on their fashion sense? This is a forum for questions from med school applicants; it isn't GQ.

Reactions: Goro

Gibbward

2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
n=1 but I've heard from one adcom that he does look at whether shoes are laced or not. His thinking is "if you don't have the time to even tie your shoes, you must be lazy or terrible at managing your time". Is this a bad way of assessing an applicant? Absolutely. But you just never know who is going to be interviewing you I guess.

I would never wear shoes without laces because I think they look ugly, but that is just my personal preference.

username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Do you think medical student applicants should be admitted, or not, based on their fashion sense? This is a forum for questions from med school applicants; it isn't GQ.

The poster wanted to know if they were appropriate. They are not, but they will pass as just fine for a medical school interview as many many people have similarly poor understanding of proper attire.

If he already owns them, they will be passable. But he should certainly not go out and purchase them if he is currently deliberating between these and something else.

Ehwic

5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
For all of you who are curious, those type of shoes fall under 'loafers' I believe. According to Jos A. Bank's site:https://www.josbank.com/mens-dress-and-casual-shoes your loafers would be considered more of a business casual footwear rather than of 'interview' quality. Alas, seems like adcoms don't pay attention to shoes that much.