Can you work as a civilian contractor for the military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

19pieces19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my residency in a civilian program right now. I am interested in working in a military base abroad. Is this possible to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finishing up my residency in a civilian program right now. I am interested in working in a military base abroad. Is this possible to do?
Yes. USAjobs.gov but openings aren't very common.

Reactions: 1 user
And depending on the type of job you have, you are at the mercy of the contracts being renewed, often this is done annually. meaning each year you don’t know if your job is going to be funded. It’s not uncommon for contractors (both physicians and nurses) to find out the day before their contract renewal that they are fired :(

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And depending on the type of job you have, you are at the mercy of the contracts being renewed, often this is done annually. meaning each year you don’t know if your job is going to be funded. It’s not uncommon for contractors (both physicians and nurses) to find out the day before their contract renewal that they are fired :(
The answer is "yes" to working as a contractor for the military. But Volatile is absolutely correct. I previously was stationed overseas where we had a couple of contractors working for us and this was a yearly thing for them. The pay is supposedly good but you don't get the bennies like other jobs and have to take care of all that yourself.

Also a lot is changing in milmed with DHA takeover