Can you work in the hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questionperson1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering family medicine. From many descriptions, it seems you work in a private office. I am young and this seems a bit socially isolating. I do not want to be made fun of for this. I just do better in an environment where there are opportunities to socialize. My questions are: Can you work in a hospital and not just as a hospitalist? Is working in a private office isolating you from your other colleagues?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering family medicine. From many descriptions, it seems you work in a private office. I am young and this seems a bit socially isolating. I do not want to be made fun of for this. I just do better in an environment where there are opportunities to socialize. My questions are: Can you work in a hospital and not just as a hospitalist? Is working in a private office isolating you from your other colleagues?

Short answer: yes and yes.

Long answer: if you're worried about being all by your lonesome, then work with a few partners.

Why would you get made fun of for being in a private office?