Can your financial award be changed after they give you the award letter?

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
    So my EFC was 0. I ended up getting all loans, 40K in stafford and 10K in private loans. My relatives are going to help pay for some so I don't need the 10K in private loans.

If I decline that portion and only accept the 40K in stafford loans, do you think the school will ask where I am getting the extra money and upon finding out, change my award to give me less stafford loans? I'm curious if this happens.

Adapt

2K Member
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 19, 2003
      Originally posted by that dr. jack
      your parents are helping? lucky bastard.

go to banweb. when it asks you to accept or decline, under the alternative loans it will say that you don't have to accept them, because you just don't contact the lender. or call the aid office.
      :laugh: Yea we can't decline the alternative because it doesn't let us. I guess I just won't contact the lender. I'm going to call them on Monday to see what the deal is.

I'm just afraid that they'll change my award letter somehow if I decline a big portion of it.

About the Ads

Amy B

I miss my son so much
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Aug 7, 2000
      Virginia
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        I don't think that they would lessen your award. They would have no reason to do that. I remember as an undergrad, they send you the letter and ask if you want an or all of the amount they are offering. I wonder.. is it the same for med school?

You are indeed lucky to have family paying some of your bill. Way cool
        cool17.gif

Vincristine

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jan 29, 2004
        Boston
        www.hejweca.org
          Adapt said:
          So my EFC was 0. I ended up getting all loans, 40K in stafford and 10K in private loans. My relatives are going to help pay for some so I don't need the 10K in private loans.

If I decline that portion and only accept the 40K in stafford loans, do you think the school will ask where I am getting the extra money and upon finding out, change my award to give me less stafford loans? I'm curious if this happens.

This is perfectly a reasonable thing to do. I declined large amounts of my award each year (like $10K) because I was living with my fiancee (we weren't married so his income wasn't factored into my FA, but I didn't need to take out loans for rent and other living expenses since he could support us). No one asked any questions and from what I understand it's a very common practice as I know many people who've done it. There were no ill effects the following years.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.