Can your school withdraw you from the nrmp for no reason!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMELL

FIRE
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically, if someone registers for ERAS and the NRMP, then changes their mind about submitting a ROL, but wants to have access to the Scramble list in March, so decides not to withdraw from the Match. The school however goes on and withdraws them so has not to affect the school's Match statistic. Can the school do that, since the student for all purposes is still qualified for the match? Now that NRMP status is withdrawn, can the student still get access to the scramble information in March?

Members don't see this ad.

You won't be able to see/get access to the scramble list unless you can get on ERAS, I'm pretty sure.

Sounds like the school was looking after #1...it sucks for the student.
If you are the student, I can't think of much to do now except I would like to hear more about why the student bailed out on ranking any programs.

I would discuss this situation with a faculty member you trust/like, hopefully one who knows something about the residency match procedures.

If you want to get a residency this year, consider signing up for Findaresident on the NRMP web site. You could also call programs (on Match day) and try to see if there are open spots, but it's gonna suck since you'll have no idea who has the open spots.

Why tell your school?
Why not just rank a couple of programs that you did not interview with and that you did not apply to?
That way you ensure you will not match and ensure that you will be able to access the scramble.

Last edited:
I agree with the above poster...

sucks if your school did that though :thumbdown:

This doesn't sound kosher. Your school can only withdraw you for 1 reason that I can think of:

1. You're not going to graduate by July 1st.

Other than that, it's your application.

I'd call the NRMP immediatly, to see what's up and see if you can get re-enrolled.

If your school actually did this, it would seem a huge violation and they could get in immense trouble with the NRMP (although it's unclear what "punishment" the NRMP has over schools)

One other idea: If your Dean's office helps students scramble, and any other student ends up in the scramble, they will have access to the list.

did I hear somewhere that you have to have at least one rank to go unmatched and therefore have access to the unmatched list? I might be wrong on that, but for some reason I remember hearing something about this at some point...

Jon, I thought so too but I read a seemingly conflicting answer in the "what happens if I change my list and forget to Recertify?" FAQ on NRMP's site.

To paraphrase it said on Match Monday you would receive the "did not Match" message, and then could Scramble the next day. Since forgetting to recertify is the same as not ranking any programs, I would think both situations would be allowed to Scramble? Unless I misread/forgot what the FAQ said... quite possible.

This doesn't sound kosher. Your school can only withdraw you for 1 reason that I can think of:

1. You're not going to graduate by July 1st.

Other than that, it's your application.

I'd call the NRMP immediatly, to see what's up and see if you can get re-enrolled.

If your school actually did this, it would seem a huge violation and they could get in immense trouble with the NRMP (although it's unclear what "punishment" the NRMP has over schools)

One other idea: If your Dean's office helps students scramble, and any other student ends up in the scramble, they will have access to the list.
the school asked the student if they would withdraw, the student didn't, then the school went ahead anyway, while the student in question was planning on going through the match next year anyway, they still wanted access to the scramble this year, to see how the process works. she has decided not to say anything, cause it's probably not a good idea to piss them off now, since she might need them next year. It's a sucky situation though.

the school asked the student if they would withdraw, the student didn't, then the school went ahead anyway, while the student in question was planning on going through the match next year anyway, they still wanted access to the scramble this year, to see how the process works. she has decided not to say anything, cause it's probably not a good idea to piss them off now, since she might need them next year. It's a sucky situation though.

Wait, what? :confused: Is the student graduating, or are did they register for the match a year early to just get info? I'm confused. If this student in question actually PAID to register for the match and isn't graduating, they lack a certain brand of common sense that no medical school or residency can teach. There are plenty of resources out there to find out how the scramble works, with out having to go through it first hand. Just off the top of my head, oh, I don't know, how about finding an intern who scrambled this year and MERELY ASKING THEM about the process. Would have saved some money and obviously, drama.

Wait, what? :confused: Is the student graduating, or are did they register for the match a year early to just get info? I'm confused. If this student in question actually PAID to register for the match and isn't graduating, they lack a certain brand of common sense that no medical school or residency can teach. There are plenty of resources out there to find out how the scramble works, with out having to go through it first hand. Just off the top of my head, oh, I don't know, how about finding an intern who scrambled this year and MERELY ASKING THEM about the process. Would have saved some money and obviously, drama.
the student is graduating this year, hence the application to ERAS and NRMP