Can your undergrad major be premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbMDwannabe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you can major in premed? I am highschool senior and today when I took the PSAT/NMSQT we had to select a major and one listed was premed. This really threw me off because I believed that this was unheard of. Anyone who could explain this for me would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There might be some schools out there that have premed majors, but for the majority of schools, you have a normal major, and just take the required premed classes.

The PSAT might have that listed for those students who don't really know what they want to major in yet, but know that they want to be premeds. That's my guess, at least.

I've heard that Notre Dame has an actual "Premedical Studies" major. Can anyone back me up on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
THe actual name of the major at Notre Dame is "Science Preprofessional Studies." Basically, to fulfill this major one has to take the four basic science classes (Bio, chem, orgo, phys) along with some 20 something credits in science electives. That's about all there is to the major. And one more thing, Go Irish!!!

The University of Dayton also has a pre-major also.

If you were a pre-med major, when you graduated, what would you have a degree in. I mean you would like get a Bachelor's in Pre-Med or something???:confused:

there are schools with undergrad maj/degree called premed. in those schools, if you cannot major in premed to go to med school, then what is premed major for?

there are lots premed maj in small school for ur information.

matriculant data for med school will list undergrad major, there are always some premed majors.

Originally posted by MaybeMD
If you were a pre-med major, when you graduated, what would you have a degree in. I mean you would like get a Bachelor's in Pre-Med or something???:confused:

if you major in physics, you don't get a bachelor in physics do u? if you major in premed, just like every other basic major, u just get a BS.

Originally posted by gooloogooloo
if you major in physics, you don't get a bachelor in physics do u? if you major in premed, just like every other basic major, u just get a BS.

Yeah, but would it be a BSP(premed). Because their major is premed, not biology or physics.

I'm a premed major; when I graduate my degree will say "Bachelor of Science in Premedicine, Pennsylvania State University."