Canada and D.O.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

train98

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions.

I am currently living in Toronto, Canada. I am a dual U.S./Canadian citizen, and I am interested in possibly pursuing osteopathic medicine at one of the schools in the U.S.

My first question is can D.O.'s practice in Canada? Second, I would like to talk with a D.O. about their experience as a D.O., but I am not sure if there are any practicing D.O.'s here. If you know of any, please tell me. If there aren't any here, would someone in the U.S. be willing to talk with me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

DO's are allowed to practice in canada. however, their practice rights vary from province to province. some provinces allow you full practice rights while others will let you practice OMM only. for ontario, there has been a big cutback in the number of foreign trained physicians that are allowed to practice in ontario. that means DO's will have a hard time practicing in ON. this is becuase the MCC classifies DO's as foreign medical graduates (in contrast, students who earn an MD from an american school are not considered foreign medical graduates--i don't know if american MD's will have trouble practicing in ON, but it's a possibility).

because DO's are considered FMG's, they are required to take the MCC evalutating exam as well as the Qualifying exams I and II--something that canadian graduates do not have to worry about.

if you want to talk to a canadian DO, you might have a hard time becuase there are only about 40 DO's in all of canada. you may want to visit the canadian osteopathic website.

IMO, it would be easier to go to a canadian med school--both in terms of practicing in canada in the future as well as debt when you graduate. at most, when you graduate from a canadian med school, your tuition debt will be about $60 000 (if you're going to an ON school). this is much better than coming out $120 000 US in the red and having an iffy chance at practicing in canada.

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited June 07, 1999).]