Canada Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eliscord

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about applying to schools in Canada like Dalhousie

Members don't see this ad.

eliscord said:

I am not too certain about Dalhousie but I am farily sure that they really only take in province students. Are you Canadian?

if you're a non-Canadian, then McGill is probably your only chance. May I ask why you are considering studying medicine in Canada? If you're American and have good enough achievements to get into McGill, you should be competitive for a great majority of American schools as well. For example, the cut-off for UofT last year was 3.6. The average GPA was above 3.8

Members don't see this ad :)
McGill set up Harvard's problem based learning program. Gourman ranks it top 3 in the world. You might have a better shot at applying to harvard!

In general, Quebec schools tend to accept the most international students (especially McGill - 20 international compared to 5 out of province --> which doesn't quite make a lot of sense to me)

BC may also take some international students but I am not 100% on that.

Honestly Canadian competition is very tough. If you are looking for an easy admission it will not be found in Canada. If you are a genius or serious nerd, then Canada has great schools.

a couple of corrections, fever. McMaster developed PBL which Harvard later adopted, and UBC doesn't accept any international students. I don't know any Canadian schools other than McGill that accept internationals, other ppl can help me out on this.

fever5 said:
McGill set up Harvard's problem based learning program. Gourman ranks it top 3 in the world. You might have a better shot at applying to harvard!

In general, Quebec schools tend to accept the most international students (especially McGill - 20 international compared to 5 out of province --> which doesn't quite make a lot of sense to me)

Honestly Canadian competition is very tough. If you are looking for an easy admission it will not be found in Canada. If you are a genius or serious nerd, then Canada has great schools.

Yeah McGill seems pretty darn competitive. And it snows there too. How about schools like Simon Frasier or UBC?

UBC doesn't take internationals... or at least none that I've seen.
McGill is your best bet if you're competitive >/ 30 MCAT. Dal may take a few... MUN used to take 15 per year, but this year's 1st yr class has 1 or 2 Americans...

S

McGill has spots for only 12 international students this year, but it is nowhere near as difficult to get in as Harvard because many fewer people apply. McGill is second to Toronto among canadian schools so I highly doubt it is third in the world.

fever5 said:

hamham, SFU does not have a medical school, and UBC does not accept internationals. They accept 224 applicants this year with a maximum quota of 10 seats for non-BC resident Canadians. So one has a slim chance at UBC if he/she is out-of-province, nil chance if non-Canadian. UBC medcine by the way, is highly competitive as well (as are all Canadian schools).

Acherona, I am curious as to how you came up with your "McGill's second highest to Toronto" analysis. Canadian medical schools are not given any sort of rankings (other than Macleans which doesn't even rank MD programs separately and Gourman's Report which is hopelessly outdated). If you said something like that on a Canadian board, you should expect to get flamed by all sorts of people. Gourman's by the way, did rank McGill 3rd in the world last time they ranked medical schools, which I believe was in 1997 :eek:

man, canada is a tough one to get one's foot in! Dal, which i didnt apply to cause im out of provine, required oop's to have 3.7 for two consecutive years and a MCAT of 30 + but get this, if your in province, all you need is a 3.3 and a 24 mcat :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

i was rejected from mcgil, out of province, ottawa (dont have 3.87!) calgary and alberta lol. LMAO this is soooo fun. but i am very very lucky to have a UBC interview, but im from BC so im in province, and i go to school in ontario, so im in province there too, for some shady reason....U of T call me!! :laugh: :luck: good luck everyone!

eliscord said:

Dal has a class size of 90. 81 seats are reserved for Maritime applicants and 9 seats are for non-Maritime applicants, including international students. As Wends said, if you're applying as a non-Maritime applicant, you need a GPA of 3.7/A-/80% and MCAT score of 30, with a score of 10 in each section (though you can have a 9 in one section, as long as your score is 30). The application itself is pretty simple - write two page-long essays and complete a list of your recent activites, employment and volunteer work.

From all that I've heard and read, Dal has a great program, so if your GPA and MCAT meet the requirements, it wouldn't hurt to apply. For 2004, 579 applied and 50 non-Maritime applicants were interviewed.

I just hope they'll take me - my interview's tomorrow!

toronto has sent out letters already, on the 1st, and Mac should be out too, check you mail boxes tomorrow, and cross those fingers and toes! :eek: :thumbup: :luck:

osjx-82 said:
hamham, SFU does not have a medical school, and UBC does not accept internationals. They accept 224 applicants this year with a maximum quota of 10 seats for non-BC resident Canadians. So one has a slim chance at UBC if he/she is out-of-province, nil chance if non-Canadian. UBC medcine by the way, is highly competitive as well (as are all Canadian schools).
:D thanks. Sorry if it sounds like I'm implying that UBC is an easy school. I thought it might be interesting to attend a relatively nearby foreign medical school that doesn't have snow nor the stigma.

Toronto also takes a few international students, but this year it was only 2 (in a class of about 200)

wends said:
man, canada is a tough one to get one's foot in! Dal, which i didnt apply to cause im out of provine, required oop's to have 3.7 for two consecutive years and a MCAT of 30 + but get this, if your in province, all you need is a 3.3 and a 24 mcat :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

i was rejected from mcgil, out of province, ottawa (dont have 3.87!) calgary and alberta lol. LMAO this is soooo fun. but i am very very lucky to have a UBC interview, but im from BC so im in province, and i go to school in ontario, so im in province there too, for some shady reason....U of T call me!! :laugh: :luck: good luck everyone!

Yeah, and I graduated HS in Nova Scotia, and got my bachelors and masters degrees at Dal and b/c I've been working in Alberta for 3 years, I can't apply as an NS resident when applying to Dal. Meh, those bastards have stolen enough of my money already anyways.

wends said:
toronto has sent out letters already, on the 1st, and Mac should be out too, check you mail boxes tomorrow, and cross those fingers and toes! :eek: :thumbup: :luck:

Not surprising but Mac said :thumbdown: .

Let's hope Toronto says something nice.