Canada vs US part II -> MD in US but want residency in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssc_396

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Further to the prev thread...

There's alot of info about how to go south after your MD but not much for people who want to come back to Canada. I'm wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to do a residency in Canada if you train in the US?

I'm Canadian and in the application process now and have interviewed @ harvard, columbia & mcgill (early decision), and am trying to decide where to go. Some programs in the US look great because they appear more rigorous than Canadian programs and I can do research throughout my MD and get a good chunk of tuition covered. However, I would much prefer practicing medicine and rasing my family in Canada so would want to move home after my md.

CARMS seems to indicate that many provinces consider American grads in the first round along with Canadians - but is this really true? Does anyone know if Canadian schools tend to pick Canadian grads over American ones?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to Canada now in addition to the States. My experience so far has been one interview offer :) and three rejections for peds (the interview was for McGill in my hometown where I also did an away rotation). But keep in mind that I'm not a top student, nor do I attend a top school. I'd be pretty surprised if Harvard didn't open doors for you, especially if you do an away in Canada to demonstrate interest. IMO your greatest concern should be debt - you really don't want to be repaying $150K US on a Canadian salary if you can avoid it. :eek: :(