MD & DO (Canadian) 3.2 GPA & 508 MCAT. School list/WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KTH55

Reaction score
Ethnicity: Asian
School: Canadian

GPA:
Cumulative GPA: 3.25
Science GPA: 3.2
* Upward trend (2.6 1st year, 3.6 4th year)

MCAT: 508

Research:
1 yr in a evolutionary biology lab, no pubs
1 semester in a pathology lab, multiple posters & abstracts
1 yr (currently) working for a pathologist, will have 1st authorship on a few papers by next spring, multiple posters & high-profile presentations

Volunteering:
Clinical: ~150 hrs at hospital (ED, ICU)
Non-clinical: ~90 hrs at blood drives & donation services

Shadowing: ~30 hrs shadowing a family physician
Extracurriculars: Reached high levels of dance & RCM piano certification, but it's only verifiable in pre-collegiate years
Employment history: Stable job on campus ~15 hrs/week for junior & senior years
Currently working for a pathologist full time (40 hrs/week) for a year

Currently applying to:
MD--
Rosalind Franklin
Howard
Michigan State
Morehouse
University of Arizona

DO--
CCOM (Midwestern)
Western COM
Touro Nevada COM
NYIT COM
LECOM

TLDR: 3.2 GPA, 508 MCAT. Decent EC's, I think getting a full time in a hospital for a year straight out of BSc. should make me a bit more competitive. WAMC at getting in anywhere? School recommendations?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Howard and Morehouse are HBCUs.
Your chances of a MD acceptance is very low. I'd add another 8-10 DO schools.

Are you a US permanent resident?

These are DO schools where you could receive an interview with your stats. You will need to check with each school to see if they accept applications from Canadians.
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)

Members don't see this ad :)
You should focus your app mainly on DO schools. Your an international applicant and your stats are not competitive for MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Howard and Morehouse are HBCUs.
Your chances of a MD acceptance is very low. I'd add another 8-10 DO schools.

Are you a US permanent resident?

I'm not a US permanent resident. I don't know how I missed the HBCU part, thanks!

These are DO schools where you could receive an interview with your stats. You will need to check with each school to see if they accept applications from Canadians.
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)

Thank you! I'll check these out.

You should focus your app mainly on DO schools. Your an international applicant and your stats are not competitive for MD.

Would you recommend not applying MD at all? Sometimes I feel like it might be a waste of money, since my GPA is not really competitive at any MD schools

Would you recommend not applying MD at all? Sometimes I feel like it might be a waste of money, since my GPA is not really competitive at any MD schools
Which do you prefer? MD or DO? If MD, apply to some special masters programs (smp) with strong linkage to the host medical school in the states. If you don't care which letters are behind your name, then focus on DO schools.

Which do you prefer? MD or DO? If MD, apply to some special masters programs (smp) with strong linkage to the host medical school in the states. If you don't care which letters are behind your name, then focus on DO schools.
Thanks for your help. I will focus more on my DO apps then.

I would remove all MD and focus entirely on DO.
Your chances were low to begin with for MD and being an international applicant makes it extremely unlikely.

For DO apply broadly to those that take international applicant and target the new ones.