Canadian: 3.5 GPA, 521 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kikara

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am a Asian-Canadian female and I'm looking to apply to the US for medical school (hopefully MD) from Ontario.

I have a 3.52 sGPA and 3.50 cGPA. Unfortunately I didn't really want to go to medical school until junior year and there is a upward trend from my second year (hit a rough patch). I am starting my management Masters in the fall.

My MCAT is 521: 13o Physical, 128 CARS, 131 Bio, 132 Psych. I did this last year (2015) and got 33 on my previous MCAT done in 2014 (9/11/13). I'm hoping my MCAT score offsets my low GPA.
My LizzyM score is a 73.

My ECs include multiple clubs (started 1 club with over 200 participants in the first year involving a cross provincial science competition). One club I was head for 2 years and another I was head for 1 year focused on poverty alleviation. I did clinical volunteering in high school in the surgical oncology ward and I volunteer at a soup kitchen. In university, I shadowed an ICU doctor and am volunteering at the hospital this summer (bit hard to shadow in Canada). Multiple lab experiences from psych to bio to my 4th year thesis in a pathology lab in conjecture with the ICU unit at the hospital. I've held a job in my junior year at the local pharmacy and now I am teaching MCAT prep during the summer. I've also played intramural volleyball.

I've checked for international/Canadian-friendly schools and compiled the following list to apply to:
Albert Einstein
Boston U
California Northstate
Case Western
Central Michigan
Columbia
Geisel
George Washington
Jacobs
John Hopkins
Keck at USC
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Mt. Sinai
NYMC
NYU
NY Upstate
Northwestern
Oakland
Penn State
Perelman
Rosalind Franklin
Sidney Kimmel
UC Davis
UCLA
U of Chicago
U of Kentucky
U of Pittsburgh
Wayne State

Is there any other school I should/shouldn't apply to? I am aiming to get into at least one medical school and I'm not very picky which one. I guess the question is, do I have a chance?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a decent chance at A MD school in the U.S. but you must realize that the international students who get accepted to top schools like Hopkins Columbia are insane... Your ECs are average at best for those schools. Of course, apply to your hearts content and see what happens! GL

Thank you! Yes I realize that the top schools are insane so they're kinda like a reach at this point. I doubt I would even get an interview from those schools.