This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sswxqw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Canadian here, I'm currently in 4th year of undergraduate honors neuroscience. How competitive am I as an international applicant for MD and DO? Is it worth it to apply to MD at all?

GPA 3.6-3.7 with progression of 3.85, 3.65, 3.94, 3.3-3.4. Are fluctuations detrimental to applications?

Unbalanced 514 MCAT :
129/124(cars)/129/132

Summer research position and graduation thesis, no publications.

President and executive to 2 student groups related to music and community service. Mental health campaigns and 100+hr of crisis intervention training and help line volunteer. 100+hr of hospital musician therapist. 200+hr overseas shadowing.

Extracurricular: musician (piano since 6 and university concert band), artist, travelling

Any tips will help! Do I have any chance at MD schools? My impression is that I would be counted as international student, so my 3.6/7gpa won't be competitive for most MD schools. For example, my stat may still have a shot as in state for the school in Hawaii, but for out of state I'm far from it. I do not have any publications so I won't be able to gain points for research portion of the applications.

Am I competitive for the top tier DO schools?

Should I do a 5th year to improve my GPA? Redoing the MCAT for a better CARS score?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi fellow Canadian! Yes, your GPA is on the lower end of International matriculants and MCAT is tad below average as well. Fluctuations aren't bad per se, but that downward trend for your 4th year won't help. Shadowing overseas won't be considered equal (if schools take it at all) as shadowing in US/Canada and your ECs look a bit weak. What other community service hours do you have? Your AMCAS GPA might be a bit higher than what you have right now. I'd still suggest you spend extra year to strengthen your EC/GPA and apply next year if you're set on MD. You might have a chance at schools like Rosalind Franklin, GW, Georgetown, Mayo, MCW, Penn State, SLU, Jeff, Upstate, Tulane, Kentucky, VCU, Wayne.

Hi fellow Canadian! Yes, your GPA is on the lower end of International matriculants and MCAT is tad below average as well. Fluctuations aren't bad per se, but that downward trend for your 4th year won't help. Shadowing overseas won't be considered equal (if schools take it at all) as shadowing in US/Canada and your ECs look a bit weak. What other community service hours do you have? Your AMCAS GPA might be a bit higher than what you have right now. I'd still suggest you spend extra year to strengthen your EC/GPA and apply next year if you're set on MD. You might have a chance at schools like Rosalind Franklin, GW, Georgetown, Mayo, MCW, Penn State, SLU, Jeff, Upstate, Tulane, Kentucky, VCU, Wayne.

Thank you! I'm debating if I should spend an extra year to improve my GPA and ECs or start working to save money. The reason is I want to go into primary care so I'm perfectly fine with doing DO.

I know my stats are higher than the average DO applicant however I have trouble finding information about how much higher stats are for international matriculants. I would like to get into a top tier DO because it seems the graduates have an easier time getting matches they want. Are my chances high for DO schools if I apply this year rather than spending a year to improve my GPA and ECs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into MD as a Canadian with a lower GPA but higher MCAT. So it’s definitely possible for you to get in with your stats. You are more than fine for any DO school.

I got into MD as a Canadian with a lower GPA but higher MCAT. So it’s definitely possible for you to get in with your stats. You are more than fine for any DO school.
Only about a dozen DO schools actually consider internationals, though.

I heard some also consider Canadian students as out of state instead of internationals, does anyone know if that = admission criteria (GPA, mcat, ec...) and tuition will be the same as out of state, or do they still judge Canadian differently despite same categorization?

Only about a dozen DO schools actually consider internationals, though.