Canadian 4.0 GPA, 32 MCAT (only 8 in verbal!) Retake???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedToronto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I need some serious advice guys. I am a Canadian and will be applying to both Canadian and US schools this cycle. I have a 4.0 GPA for US and 3.95 for Canada. The first time I took the MCAT last year I was upset since I scored a 27 (9PS-8VR-10BS). I took it again this June and got my scores back: 32 (11PS-8VR-13BS). Although my score is much better, I am confused as ever! What should I do about that 8 in verbal again...

I never really score too well on verbal sections in the practice exams either, around 9s. I have good ECs (5 years on-going hospital volunteering in 2 dept's, science advisor at my faculty, 2 research positions, tutoring, intramurals, etc.).

I would appreciate your advice on what I should do regarding both the Canadian and US schools. Also, a concern I have is that if I were to retake the test (maybe Aug. 1), my AMCAS application would be delayed as US schools would be waiting to hear about my new score. Not sure how much that would hurt me as well.

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro I've seen your advice to other forum members and would absolutely appreciate if you could offer me some suggestions regarding this matter and perhaps a school list. Thank you!

There are some 70 MD schools in the US that accept Canadian applicants. Invest in MSAR Online and target those schools whose median scores are closest to your own. A VR8 is scraping the bottom of the barrel but should be lethal.

You'll fare much better with DO programs, but my school only takes people with green cards or citizens.

@Goro I've seen your advice to other forum members and would absolutely appreciate if you could offer me some suggestions regarding this matter and perhaps a school list. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some 70 MD schools in the US that accept Canadian applicants. Invest in MSAR Online and target those schools whose median scores are closest to your own. A VR8 is scraping the bottom of the barrel but should be lethal.

You'll fare much better with DO programs, but my school only takes people with green cards or citizens.

Have you seen at your school any difference in evaluation of applicants with green cards versus citizens?

There are some 70 MD schools in the US that accept Canadian applicants. Invest in MSAR Online and target those schools whose median scores are closest to your own. A VR8 is scraping the bottom of the barrel but should be lethal..

Do you think I should retake the MCAT sometime in August or stay with my score and see what happens?

That's the domain of our wily old Dean of Admissions...it's doesn't extend down to the Adcom. We've had a few Canucks come through here. I do NOT recommend a retake. You appear to have hit your ceiling for VR.

Have you seen at your school any difference in evaluation of applicants with green cards versus citizens?

That's the domain of our wily old Dean of Admissions...it's doesn't extend down to the Adcom. We've had a few Canucks come through here.

I wonder if state schools receive diff amounts of funding for permanent resident and citizen students ... hmmm

4.0/ 32 is fine, the 8 verbal can be overlooked with strong science scores. If your ESL an 8 is very good. Apply broadly to USMD schools, stay away from DO as a Canadian student, you are considered an IMG now in Canada. Ireland and UK are better options if you can't get a USMD.

That's the domain of our wily old Dean of Admissions...it's doesn't extend down to the Adcom. We've had a few Canucks come through here. I do NOT recommend a retake. You appear to have hit your ceiling for VR.

Thank you guys. My mind has just been going crazy with this dilemma. Everyone I ask is sort of on the fence. I guess I can spend some of my free time going through a few verbal passages a day and see how it goes. If I feel really confident by a couple weeks I may take it again. But as you said @Goro , taking it again may not be the right move.

4.0/ 32 is fine, the 8 verbal can be overlooked with strong science scores. If your ESL an 8 is very good. Apply broadly to USMD schools, stay away from DO as a Canadian student, you are considered an IMG now in Canada. Ireland and UK are better options if you can't get a USMD.

I'm not ESL but just don't like reading. I never had a passion for reading as a child either. Maybe that's something I would have done differently. Sigh.