MD Canadian applicant 3.8 GPA, 505 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolo9416

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-cGPA- 3.85, sGPA-3.7-- history and biology major
-Canadian
-500 hours hospital volunteer, 200 hospital work
-1 published paper (undergraduate journal), 1 conference presentation, currently volunteering at medical school & helping with clinical trials at local hospital
-shadowed emergency room doctor, psychiatrist and family doctor
-helped build school in Latin America, was on executive committee for a few local charities
- won awards for top grades and research in history department, deans list, etc.

So I am set on MD-- I thought about DO but I want to be able to stay/come back to Canada. I applied to American schools and Canadian schools.... also thinking about caribbean (would probably do family or internal med)

Members don't see this ad.

There are very very few US MD schools where your MCAT (c/w 28+) will be consistent with an interview as an international. If you have multiple MCAT scores, odds go even lower.
514 is the equivalent median for a successful international matriculant.
I cannot recommend Caribbean schools.

Don't even think about Carib diploma mills unless you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt.

-cGPA- 3.85, sGPA-3.7-- history and biology major
-Canadian
-500 hours hospital volunteer, 200 hospital work
-1 published paper (undergraduate journal), 1 conference presentation, currently volunteering at medical school & helping with clinical trials at local hospital
-shadowed emergency room doctor, psychiatrist and family doctor
-helped build school in Latin America, was on executive committee for a few local charities
- won awards for top grades and research in history department, deans list, etc.

So I am set on MD-- I thought about DO but I want to be able to stay/come back to Canada. I applied to American schools and Canadian schools.... also thinking about caribbean (would probably do family or internal med)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
that mcat can kill you, especially as an international :/

There are very very few US MD schools where your MCAT (c/w 28+) will be consistent with an interview as an international. If you have multiple MCAT scores, odds go even lower.
514 is the equivalent median for a successful international matriculant.
I cannot recommend Caribbean schools.

any recommendations on next steps?

any recommendations on next steps?
Buy the MSAR.
Filter for the schools that consider internationals.
Eliminate the ones that matriculated two or fewer.
Apply to those with the lowest median and 10th percentile MCAT.

An MCAT of 505 is not likely to gain traction at a US MD school as an international, though.