Canadian Applicant..chances? Really need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droid4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the repost:

Canadian 3.93 cGPA/ AMCAS 4.0cGPA (just graduated 4yr biomedical/ biology double major degree)

Research (will hopefully be published soon), Exec on Clubs, Volunteering, Founded a charity, Big Brother etc.

But here is the kicker..only have a 29Q MCAT (8/11/10) [wrote it once in 2nd year and didn't prep well for sciences]

Results came out yesterday and I am wait listed at two medical schools in Canada [Mac/Ottawa (GWL] (first time applying, I only applied to 4 schools [Queens, UofT, Mac, Ottawa]

1) Should I Rewrite my MCAT and wait a year..? [Afraid to lose 11 in VR/ Changing MCAT]

2) Do I have any chance of getting into a US school? [I am not sure I can afford it or where to start] (I am mixed - Afro- Caribbean..if that matters at all]

3) Are there any I could afford on a LOC + OSAP?

4) Do I go down the Caribbean road? [I am looking at Caribbean schools..but I am reading such conflicting opinions on this forum and many others...but I would work my ass off]

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should rewrite the MCAT. I'm sure you can do well on VR again. Hopefully, you can break the cut offs at Western, and the publication will help for U of T.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should rewrite the MCAT. I'm sure you can do well on VR again. Hopefully, you can break the cut offs at Western, and the publication will help for U of T.

I love everything about Canada except what you have to endure to get into med school. Your best odds are with DO schools with a history of taking Canadian applicants. Other than that I'd recommend retaking the MCAT.

Edit - whoops wrong quote.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this will affect their chances that much, but this poster is URM.

Reactions: 1 user

I love everything about Canada except what you have to endure to get into med school. Your best odds are with DO schools with a history of taking Canadian applicants. Other than that I'd recommend retaking the MCAT.

Thank you for all your wisdom guys, I will be rewriting my MCAT this summer. So as it stands, I don't have a shot at any decent American schools as an URM?

Can you elaborate a little on the US-DO schools? How do they compare to Med school in terms of education and cost? Is there good placement? Are there Canadian friendly ones near the US-Canadian border? do DO-schools have their own application cycle & system?

I am assuming no one suggests going to the Caribbean, right?

Thank you for all your wisdom guys, I will be rewriting my MCAT this summer. So as it stands, I don't have a shot at any decent American schools as an URM?

Can you elaborate a little on the US-DO schools? How do they compare to Med school in terms of education and cost? Is there good placement? Are there Canadian friendly ones near the US-Canadian border? do DO-schools have their own application cycle & system?

I am assuming no one suggests going to the Caribbean, right?
STAY AWAY FROM THE CARIB. I can't comment on the URM question, it may give you some leeway but I honestly don't know. DO schools are pretty much on par with MD schools ed-wise, though many are private (plus you're a CA resident) so they're a bit more pricey, but on par with what you'd pay for US MD. Residency-wise DOs have the most difficulty landing really competitive residencies (e.g., top ranked ones, surgical subspecialties, Derm, etc). Mind you, landing these residencies aren't a calk walk for MD students either. DO schools use AACOMAS for apps which is separate (and IMHO more user friendly than AMCAS). Currently DO student can participate in either their own match or the MD match. By the time you reach that point it'll be a combined system.

This is wrong.

Retake the MCAT and you have a fine shot at US MD schools, but your first shot should be to Canadian MD shcools.

URM status, you would probably be fine for MD's even with the 29, but retake to get a solid shot at Canadian schools.

OP:

You have a strong shot at Canadian MD schools if you retake the MCAT and do better.

With your URM status, 4.0 AMCAS and a 31+ MCAT (even the 29 isn't too bad for URM), you will get opportunity at US MD schools.

Take big advantage of URM status.

"Results came out yesterday and I am wait listed at two medical schools in Canada [Mac/Ottawa "

You might get in off the waitlist - either way re-apply to Mac and Ottawa next year, and if your MCAT increases Queens and UWO.

OP, you have an excellent shot at Ottawa this year and a fair shot at UofT. You also have a great shot at Mac... UBC is worth a try too with your GPA. Also try alberta and calgary.. (not sure on alberta's mcat cut offs though).

Oh and apply to McGill. Don't submit your MCAT if your prereq GPA is close to 4.0.