Canadian Applicant Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taranis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, just wondering what you guys think my chances are in the States and what type of schools I should be applying to. The Canadian Admission System is a lot based on luck, and doesn't really look at MCAT that much (which is bad because it is my best asset). Also my ECs are a bit on the weak side. I think its a good idea for me to apply to the States, but not sure what my chances are like as a Canadian applicant. The attitude on shadowing in Canada is a lot different that in the states, and it is rarely ever done, so I don't think I can get any done.

cGPA: 3.87 (Physics Major at McGill (Top Canadian School))
MCAT: 39S (14/12/S/13)
ECs: 200 hours hospital volunteering
60 hours First Responder volunteering
80 Hours Volunteering in Lab (during school year), will be doing thesis in 4th year
International Volunteering (2 week trip, approx 50 hours of actual work in the clinic)
Two summers working in a retail store full-time
hobbies (music, martial arts)

Any idea what my chances are and what type of schools I should be applying to?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys, just wondering what you guys think my chances are in the States and what type of schools I should be applying to. The Canadian Admission System is a lot based on luck, and doesn't really look at MCAT that much (which is bad because it is my best asset). Also my ECs are a bit on the weak side. I think its a good idea for me to apply to the States, but not sure what my chances are like as a Canadian applicant. The attitude on shadowing in Canada is a lot different that in the states, and it is rarely ever done, so I don't think I can get any done.

cGPA: 3.87 (Physics Major at McGill (Top Canadian School))
MCAT: 39S (14/12/S/13)
ECs: 200 hours hospital volunteering
60 hours First Responder volunteering
80 Hours Volunteering in Lab (during school year), will be doing thesis in 4th year
International Volunteering (2 week trip, approx 50 hours of actual work in the clinic)
Two summers working in a retail store full-time
hobbies (music, martial arts)

Any idea what my chances are and what type of schools I should be applying to?
Thanks.
Your stats are crazy good, and your clinical experience is fine, but schools that value substantive research, leadership, and consistent humanistic endeavors should probably stay off your list.

How would you fare in the Canadian application process with your current ECs? And why not focus there where your final debt load would be much smaller?

Your stats are crazy good, and your clinical experience is fine, but schools that value substantive research, leadership, and consistent humanistic endeavors should probably stay off your list.

How would you fare in the Canadian application process with your current ECs? And why not focus there where your final debt load would be much smaller?

My ECs I would say are slightly below average, and a lot of Canadian schools put a huge emphasis on ECs. Also the vast majority of Canadian schools merely apply a strict cut-off for the GPA/MCAT (i.e. 30 and 3.8) and don't consider them much after that. I'm not sure, but it seems that higher stats in the US directly increase the chances of admission. This is my main motivation for applying to the states.

Also there are a lot fewer medical schools and spots in Canada, in the US around 50% of applicants matriculate while in Canada the number is around 20%. This in itself is motivation to widen my application pool.

Do you know how much American medical schools prefer American applicants over Canadians?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I'm not sure, but it seems that higher stats in the US directly increase the chances of admission. This is my main motivation for applying to the states.

2) Do you know how much American medical schools prefer American applicants over Canadians?
1) I would have said that higher stats get your application looked at. ECs that fit the mission statement of the school are what get you the interview invitations in the US. The MSAR has a copy of each mission statement.

2) A number of US med schools accept no internationals. Some take a few and others are fairly friendly to them. A copy of your MSAR will tell you which is which.

1) I would have said that higher stats get your application looked at. ECs that fit the mission statement of the school are what get you the interview invitations in the US. The MSAR has a copy of each mission statement.

2) A number of US med schools accept no internationals. Some take a few and others are fairly friendly to them. A copy of your MSAR will tell you which is which.

Ok thanks for your help!