Canadian Applicant Needing Advice for MD Schools: 3.94/517

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulpremed_to_md

Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I am a Canadian applicant who graduated this past June and am applying to American medical schools for the 2021 cycle. I need help evaluating how strong of an applicant I am and if anyone has suggestions on which schools to apply as a Canadian citizen. My primary application should be verified in the next few days and my initial school I've applied to is Wayne State.

My stats and application details are:
- Overall GPA: 3.94
- MCAT (3rd attempt): 517 (129/126/132/130)
- Not much clinical experience, but have about 100 hours as a therapeutic recreations where I have interacted numerous times with patients
- Held a paid teaching assistant position for 4 semesters
- Multiple tutoring and mentorship positions
- Been involved as an executive in several clubs and organizations
- Finished a research project in a bioinformatics lab
- Completed a senior thesis in a biochemistry lab with a manuscript in the publication process right now. Held a research assistant position in that lab for the summer, working over 600 hours there
- Have reference letters from 3 science professors as well as my TA supervisor.

I've been searching around since AMCAS is different than the application system here in Canada, and was hoping to hear from people applying to medicine. Thank you so much in advance and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. I am a Canadian applicant who graduated this past June and am applying to American medical schools for the 2021 cycle. I need help evaluating how strong of an applicant I am and if anyone has suggestions on which schools to apply as a Canadian citizen. My primary application should be verified in the next few days and my initial school I've applied to is Wayne State.

My stats and application details are:
- Overall GPA: 3.94
- MCAT (3rd attempt): 517 (129/126/132/130)
- Not much clinical experience, but have about 100 hours as a therapeutic recreations where I have interacted numerous times with patients
- Held a paid teaching assistant position for 4 semesters
- Multiple tutoring and mentorship positions
- Been involved as an executive in several clubs and organizations
- Finished a research project in a bioinformatics lab
- Completed a senior thesis in a biochemistry lab with a manuscript in the publication process right now. Held a research assistant position in that lab for the summer, working over 600 hours there
- Have reference letters from 3 science professors as well as my TA supervisor.

I've been searching around since AMCAS is different than the application system here in Canada, and was hoping to hear from people applying to medicine. Thank you so much in advance and good luck to everyone!
Great GPA. Great research. Where is your serving the less fortunate? Volunteering? Clinical? What were your first two MCATs (they won't be ignored by all adcoms at all schools)? And then, being a foreign student isn't going to help. Hopefully an adcom will chime in with a more authoritative response, but to me it looks like there are some serious gaps in your application. Why don't you want to stay in Canada?

Need more clinical experience, shadowing, and helping the underserved.