Canadian applicant? PLEASE HELP :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlight1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiii!

I'm thinking of applying to DO this cycle and was wondering if anyone could pleeeease provide me with some insights and advice ;)

1. I am Canadian, just graduated from a 4 year science degree
2. 3.97 GPA, 509 MCAT (with 124 in CARS unfortunately)
3. My "clinical" experiences include:
- 3 years volunteering in a research lab
- 1 year volunteering in a hospital (signed patients in, reminder phone calls, deliver mail, etc.)
- 2 years volunteer in the hospital research department

Question: Is it worth it to apply? Do USA DOs accept canadians often with my stats? And I have a lot of other non clinical experience, should i even put those?

TYSM, really appreciate any advice :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive interviews at DO schools. Apply to all that accept applications from Canadians. It changes every year so check with each school.

Reactions: 1 users
Check the ChooseDO website for the College Information Book for the list of schools that consider international applicants. Your metrics should make you very desirable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Check the ChooseDO website for the College Information Book for the list of schools that consider international applicants. Your metrics should make you very desirable.

Thank you so much for your reply :)

im really new to american DOs, and was hoping you could help me
1. I know they start accepting applications early May. I only just learned about DOs, and might take 1 month to put together an application (i.e. ask for LOR). Would this put me at a huge disadvantage compared to other applicants?

2. I really dont want to waste money lol, how many DO schools should I apply to realistically?

3. I'm not aiming for any competitive specialities, just wanna be able to return to Canada to practice family medicine. Would going into DO instead of MD prevent me from returning to canada to practice FM?

Thank you so much for your reply :)

im really new to american DOs, and was hoping you could help me
1. I know they start accepting applications early May. I only just learned about DOs, and might take 1 month to put together an application (i.e. ask for LOR). Would this put me at a huge disadvantage compared to other applicants?

2. I really dont want to waste money lol, how many DO schools should I apply to realistically?

3. I'm not aiming for any competitive specialities, just wanna be able to return to Canada to practice family medicine. Would going into DO instead of MD prevent me from returning to canada to practice FM?
1) Early applications are great, but you have a little more time. Others here have noted the DO cycle is a little bit longer, so submitting by June/July isn't bad.

2) First let's see which schools accept Canadian applicants and where they are located.

3) I think you have to check Canadian Osteopathic Association

Reactions: 1 user